Sweeper tentacles?

I recently got a green bay ricordea mushroom and it opened up fine and I noticed that it had what appeared to be a tentacle about 1.5 inches long that just stayed out around it. I had assumed that it was a sweeper tentacle. Now I see two thicker and shorter looking ones and one thin one, granted the others may have been there originally I cannot remember. I got a little shnibble of a red plate montipora from a friend that now has what looks like one of the larger tentacles that are on the ricordea coming out near the edge region. I'm concerned that these may actually be parasites. I really don't want the ricordea to die...

can't tell without pics - but- probably a sweeper.typical for a new placement to stress and put them out. they will damage the shnibble if they touch it!

I have several Ricordea colonies. Ricordeas are of the mushroom family Corallimorpharia, and as far as I know do not have sweeper tentacles. They do have nematocysts that can both be sticky and toxic to other coral, but they are very short and essentially are like bumps or tiny spikes, not sweeper tentacles.

A photo would definitely help.

Well upon cleaning today I accidentally knocked the ricordea off it's perch and noticed that the fatter tentacle things are coming out of the rock its attached to. I still don't know what they are, but as long as they're leaving the coral alone I'm not too concerned.

Back