Switch to Radions: Type and quantity doubt...

janci

Hi guys

I have been looking to many tank shots with Radion lights and I can say that this did not make my choice of lighting any easier.
All tanks look amazing but there is so much difference in tank dimensions and the quantity of used light.

My tank is L.1320mm x W.800mm x H.550mm
Or in more convenient dimensions 53" x 31.5" x 21"

I have now a combination of T5 (8x54W) and some led strips but want to make the switch to Radions.
Question is: how many and which light do I need?
I am doubting between:
3 x XR30w Pro
4 x XR30w Pro
6 x XR15w pro

I like to have full coverage but some how feel like the XR30's are overkill for the waterdepth that I have.
I tried to get a layout for the different type of fixtures for the dimensions of my tank and feel like the 6 pieces of XR15W would do best. Not sure about it of course.

This is my SPS tank at the moment.
Please feel free to give all kinds of advice.

Attachments

• 20171113_195751.jpg
    20171113_195751.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Radions positions.jpg
    Radions positions.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2
Hi guys

I have been looking to many tank shots with Radion lights and I can say that this did not make my choice of lighting any easier.
All tanks look amazing but there is so much difference in tank dimensions and the quantity of used light.

My tank is L.1320mm x W.800mm x H.550mm
Or in more convenient dimensions 53" x 31.5" x 21"

I have now a combination of T5 (8x54W) and some led strips but want to make the switch to Radions.
Question is: how many and which light do I need?
I am doubting between:
3 x XR30w Pro
4 x XR30w Pro
6 x XR15w pro

I like to have full coverage but some how feel like the XR30's are overkill for the waterdepth that I have.
I tried to get a layout for the different type of fixtures for the dimensions of my tank and feel like the 6 pieces of XR15W would do best. Not sure about it of course.

This is my SPS tank at the moment.
Please feel free to give all kinds of advice.
Following this thread. I am in the same situation. My tank is 1050mmx750mm x600mm. Water height 550mm. I am using currently an ati 8x39w. Previously using a pair of ethereal. Considering led options too as I am concern with spread and aesthetics.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

The radion XR30’s wouldn’t be overkill. You can dial them down a bit if you like. For your tank, 2 would be fine, but you would have shading. It wouldn’t be an area with no light, just lower par. You can also raise them to increase the spread, and that will help with the depth too!

They are meant to cover a 600mmx600mm area. I have two on a 500l tank and they do fine with no shading.

I have two gen 3’s over a 120 with 2 t5’s. The radions do a great job, since I added thet5’s the coral has taken off. So over your rank two radions should be fine but think about t5’s to supplement them.

The radion XR30's wouldn't be overkill. You can dial them down a bit if you like. For your tank, 2 would be fine, but you would have shading. It wouldn't be an area with no light, just lower par. You can also raise them to increase the spread, and that will help with the depth too!

They are meant to cover a 600mmx600mm area. I have two on a 500l tank and they do fine with no shading.

Thanks Justin
With 2 XR30's i would be able to cover 1200x600 if the fixtures where sufficiently separated. But as you mention it would leave shadow of lower PAR. This i like to avoid.
So 3 pieces would be necessary and then the light intensity would fluently mix.
3 XR30's is the same as 6 XR15's with some extra cable to hide and the smaller units can be positioned better (move them a little more apart) to cover also the width.

Might be a good option.

I have two gen 3's over a 120 with 2 t5's. The radions do a great job, since I added thet5's the coral has taken off. So over your rank two radions should be fine but think about t5's to supplement them.

Hi, what are the dimensions of the tank and which T5 bulbs did you add?

If you’re going all LED, then I also like the 6 XR15 layout. With the 6 pucks evenly spread out over your tank’s footprint, you will maximize coverage and reduce (not eliminate) shadowing. Ideally though, for best results for an SPS tank, I’d go with the three perpendicularly oriented XR30’s with a pair of 48” T5s in the front and another pair of 48” T5s in the back.

^^^^100% agree with LQT. I currently run a hybrid setup with 2 Hydra 26's and 4 T5's with fantastic results. Far better than I've had running all LED'S.

Thanks all.
Supplementing with T5 to cover the shadow areas is indeed a good option.
From all replies, the 6 XR15 option seems to have the upper hand.
One more question though, which are the T5 bulbs you use to supplement?
Blue+?

Thanks all.
Supplementing with T5 to cover the shadow areas is indeed a good option.
From all replies, the 6 XR15 option seems to have the upper hand.
One more question though, which are the T5 bulbs you use to supplement?
Blue+?

I run 2 front and 2 back with my LED's, all ATI.

Blue Plus (front)
Actinic
LEDS
Coral Plus
Blue Plus (back)

Back