Switched from 250 to 400 watt mh need quick advice

BrentH

I've been using a hamilton bulb 14k 250 watt with hamilton ballast .. On a 100 gallon corner tank 1 light ... I just got a lumerek and 400 watt radion 20k bulb I wanted brighter with more blue ... I have all sps . My question is I was running lights on for 7 hours and I cut it back to 5 to start so I don't fry my corals . Is 5 hours enough its been 2 days and everyone seems ok ... Actually in seeing poloyp ext on corals that never showed this with the 250....watt it's just 5 hr doesn't seem like much ?

biggles

Premium Member
The best indicator of how the new lighting is affecting your corals is their response. Considering you are experiencing a positive reaction to the new bulb ( did you mean 400W Radium) you shouldn't stress. I would suggest you keep a close eye on ALL your SPS for a week and if none appear to exhibit a negative reaction i would add another hour and continue this until you are back to a full photo period. I've burnt acros at times and their unhappiness is very obvious after one day of excessive light added too fast.

BrentH

Thanks Andrew ya I meant radium.... Jus scary tonight I was standing in front of the ank and u can Feel the power of a 400 watter serious stuff ..... I swear my face feels sun burnt from looking into the tank for 30 min straight :)

biggles

Premium Member
I've used radiums for years and love them still. I'm upgrading from a 250W to a 400W in a week or two just like you :) Be wary of getting sun burnt whilst working in the tank btw as it happens if you keep your arm under the 400 for too long lol.
I'll be very surprised if you aren't impressed with what the radium does for your SPS over the next month. :thumbsup:

silleb

I've used radiums for years and love them still. I'm upgrading from a 250W to a 400W in a week or two just like you :) Be wary of getting sun burnt whilst working in the tank btw as it happens if you keep your arm under the 400 for too long lol.
I'll be very surprised if you aren't impressed with what the radium does for your SPS over the next month. :thumbsup:

I 2nd that. I had 2 400w over a 98 cube for years and had the best sps growth you could imagine.

BrentH

What kinda ballast do u use ? I got the lumerek 250/400 and I swear awesome puts out way brighter light