Switching salt brands

rhunter513

I am switching from IO Reef Crystals to Kent. Is there any truth to the idea that the switch should happen slowly? Any Kent users out there, do you like the salt mix?

IS this on your 24 gallon?

If so, I would look at doing small water changes with the new salt, maybe a couple gallons a week.

Not sure to be honest.

There are probably a lot of things in the salts that can affect animals when the levels are changed drasticlly.

I switch salt from Oceanic to reef crystals every bucket. I have found no issues what-so-ever in doing so.

If anything, the diverse trace elements would be benefical.

Dont believe everythingone person tells you :)

there has been alot of documented cases including myself of issues [bleaching etc..] when switching salts. sometimes it might be the 2 different brands or even the batch of one salt but it does and can happen. just go slow. why are you switching from one of the best salts??

matthewscars - before posting here, I asked my local reef gurgru (who has been in the hobby for over 15 years) if i needed to slowly switch and he said the "risk" was a myth. But since I read so much about how it should be done slowly I thought I would get some opinions and experiences on here first. Thanks for your reply.

john rochon - using reef crystals is like constantly switching salts, I get different alk and ca reading all the time - currently getting dkh=10 and ca=380 - that's regular IO readings. So I want to switch to Kent for higher alk and ca. Which will mean less testing and dosing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14270141#post14270141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john rochon
why are you switching from one of the best salts??
That's a purely opinion driven statement.

In all honesty Reef Crystals is known to have lots of issues bucket to bucket.

To the OP... You can go slow if you want... I also believe it is myth, and as long as you prepare your water properly, and test the params before adding to your display, then buffer/match them... you should be fine.

I've switched salts 4 times without problems... Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals to Tropic Marin Pro Reef to Coralife/Instant Ocean 50/50 blend.

As long as you are mixing it properly and matching your params, I don't see cause for alarm.

I am definently seeing a change bucket to bucket with reef crystals. Given that I will be increasing alk,ca and mag with Kent, perhaps I should to 50/50 my first couple water changes.

Thanks for the replies. My local reef gurgru is the owner of a reef tank service buisness and he has a geenhouse "coral farm" that is open to the public three days a week. http://www.reefsystems.com/ I trust him over anyone else and he is always happy to give advice - its just that his advice is often the complete opposite from what I read online and in some books.

RC has had "bad batches" in the past.

I thought most of the issues could be solved by mixing the bucket a bit. Is that not the case?

There are almost as many opinions on the "right" answer to reefkeeping questions as there are reefkeepers to ask.

At the end of the day, there are very few wrong answers, because different things work for different people.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14271983#post14271983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bfhaynes
There are almost as many opinions on the "right" answer to reefkeeping questions as there are reefkeepers to ask.

At the end of the day, there are very few wrong answers, because different things work for different people.

Well said.

I do 2 gallon water changes once a week. I started the tank out using a bag of IO. Once I used thst bag I switched over to Coralife doing the same 2 gallon water changes with no ill affects at all.

Back