Switching to a Refugium to lower nitrates- Aquafuge?? HOB.

Txcowboy22

I currently have a hang on back filter Aquaclear 400. I am thinking about switching to some type of Refugium to lower my nitrates. I am haveing a hard time keeping them below 20 ppm. I was wondering if a hang on back Refugium would work? Or if I should just do a Refugium under the tank. Its just that the plumbing is pretty intemidating to me. I had a wet dry filter before and I was very unhappy with all the noise and plumbing issues, thanks for any help!

I read an article on wetweb media that talk about doing that, I just thought it might be too small? Do you think it would help? Its not the largest 1 that hagen makes. where would I get a light small enough for it? It is on 9 inches long. Is this big enough to make a difference?

Hello,
My first thought is have you determined what will fit under your stand? I like to tape together boxes of the dimensions of the fuge to determine what I can and can't fit.
The plumbing can be super simple, nothing IMO to be too intimidated by.
If you go the hang on route make sure to check e-bay, some great deals on the hang on type from time to time.

Matt

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11651509#post11651509 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by osprey3883
Hello,
My first thought is have you determined what will fit under your stand? I like to tape together boxes of the dimensions of the fuge to determine what I can and can't fit.
The plumbing can be super simple, nothing IMO to be too intimidated by.
If you go the hang on route make sure to check e-bay, some great deals on the hang on type from time to time.

Matt

I was thinking since I already have a good hob skimmer(aqua C remora), that I might want to bypass making an under the tank sump. I was wondering what I should do. I don't want to do something that I might have to redo again.

If I do switch my aquaclear into a fuge, what should I put in it? Also, should I be worried about the tank cycling?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11651164#post11651164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dsn112
Make your Aquaclear into a refugium

Your mailbox is full, do I need to take out the old basket stuff?

Back