Switching to LED's

josh27

Well, as Summer is approaching I've been thinking about switching out the lighting in my 29g biocube. I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on what lighting I should go with. I've been looking around for quite a while and I can't make up my mind. Should I try a DIY lighting or just buy a fixture. I'm also looking to get them at the lowest price possible without sacrificing the quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking for LED lights too - I researched a lot and that took me to the cheap Chinese ones because that is all I could afford - but I couldn't find a fixture that gave me everything I wanted. The really expensive ones did like SOL but I couldn't afford them - sooo I went and looked at the DIY kits that rapidled sells - I can get everything I want in a light and it will do what I want it to do and best of all it is within my budget!
JMTC

For a 29 biocube Par38s would work well, as would the nanotuners retro fits.

I saw the par 38s and I was pretty interested in them. I saw one that was dimmable that came with 6x1 watt 15k lights and 6x1 watt blue at 450 nm. Any opinions on running two with maybe one at 100% blue lighting and one at 100% white lighting and running the other lights at maybe 50% for each?

After looking into the leds more thoroughly I don't think I will be going with the ones mentioned in my last post. I'm now leaning towards the rapid led par 38s. I was thinking of only buying one par 38 and one par 30. Would I be better off just buying 2 par 38s? Also, should I go with 60 or 80 degree lenses? Thanks for the advice.

I use Rapid par38s. On your tank 2 with 60* would be very powerful and 80* would grow anything up high and soffties/LPS down low.

037.jpg

Well, as Summer is approaching I've been thinking about switching out the lighting in my 29g biocube. I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on what lighting I should go with. I've been looking around for quite a while and I can't make up my mind. Should I try a DIY lighting or just buy a fixture. I'm also looking to get them at the lowest price possible without sacrificing the quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the Sunbrite fixtures?

this is from reef led lights kits,18 inch heatsink with close to 60 led on one of the section from my 225,replaced my 250 MH,grows all types of corals and with good penetration.
P4190026.jpg

I ended up going with two par 38 bulbs from rapid led. It should be a couple of days before they get here but I'm hoping they will work out well.

Back