Switiching from 55g to 75g?

ant81

My 55 is been runing with 2 filters for 2 years now. i just bought a 75g a couple of days ago. Now i put some brand new sand in my 75. i wanted to know if i do like a water change on my 55g .... like 10 g of water every 2-3 of days from my 55g and instead of throwing the water away i put it in my 75g will that work? i will do that like for 35g out of 75 g and make brand new water for the rest of the water add a a couple of rocks from my 55. Then i will put on one of my filters on it with a powerhead and make it run . all my equipment will be split on both aquariums in the mean while. until im done switcing completly...Will i have a to cylcle again?

Doesn't sound bad to me, but I'd change about 30 gallons, and put it in the 75, then add about 30 gallons of new water, then put all of your stuff into the 75 all at once. Then use water from the old tank to fill if needed. Shouldn't be much if any cycle

Sounds like a good idea, but i was wondering why your switching to a tank only 25 gallons bigger, i would go with atleast a 90.

i was thinking of getting a 90g but i was worried that my living room wasnt going to support it...

so my setup should work right ? there shouldn't be too much of a cycle? how long will i have to wait before i can put my fishes in the new tank?

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that all your beneficial bacteria in not in your water. What does matter if you are looking to avoid a cycle is your sand, rock and filter media on/in your existing tank.

well ill be using all my filters, and ill be taking a bit of sand from my 55g to seed my 75g, with all my live rock and all my filter media.. is that good? but ill be switching gradually not everything all at once because my fish will still be in the 55 while i get my 75 ready... is that good?

Back