T-5HO vs. Metal Halide

gobywonkenobi

Basically I wanna know if me switching to a MH would be worth it. Right now I have a 234w T5-HO fixture with 3x 12000k and 3x actinic bulbs on a 40breeder. I have a mixed reef, LPS,SPS and softies. All of my softies and LPS corals are doing wonderfully but the SPS corals that I have dont seem to be doing anything. I have 2 frags of Hydnophora that hasnt grown or done anything sine I bought it 5 months ago. Would switching to a 380w or a 406w MH fixture do anything to change that? What are some advantages/disadvantages to MH over T5-HO? What are your opinions on both?

A 6x39w T5 fixture puts out more than enough light for SPS in a 40 breeder if that's what you're worried about. Actinic bulbs generally don't put out much PAR, some are worse than others. I don't know what bulbs you're using or how old they are, but you can switch out a couple of actinics with ATI Blue+ bulbs if you want more PAR. I've always used T5s, I tried MH for a bit but they heated up my tank too much. Your lights may not be the problem, there may be something else going on. What are your parameters?

Last edited:
The actinic bulbs im using are just regular Coral sun brand actinic that you can buy at PETCO. My params are temp 79*,calc 420,nitrate 0,nitrite 0,ammonia 0, phos 0, alk 11, ph 8.2, sg 1.0255

Back