T5 end caps in regular strip light?

fio1022

I'm in the process of trying to utilize some t5 retro kits that I have.
I'd like to gut aregular 4ft t12 strip light just for the metal housing.
My question is,will the t5 end caps fit into the t12 slots,direct fit without modification?
It appears to be the same.I will be buying these sacrificial fixtures,so just trying to find out beforehand.
I'm sure this has been done before,I just can't find info on it.
Thanks.

If they fit then sure. Are you going to forego the moisture inhibiting screw on part commonly provided in these kits? Any metal will be in danger of corrosion over time. Especially the closer to the water it is.

Not likely to be the same dimensions..
I looked at cutout drawings from one base manufacturer and they were not the same from T5 to T8/10/12 bases..

My first T12VHO lights were DIY. I used waterproof endcaps for the bulbs, then attached them in pieces of PVC gutter with matching gutter caps. You could easily do the same. Virtually corrosion proof. I used 18g thermostat wire for the electrical connections to the endcaps and ran that to the ballasts. It was a fairly easy project - in fact, I ended up sell quite a number of them because I could produce them for way less than a similar retail model. I still have one in my basement today - it's not in use only because I upgraded to LED. It is at least 25 years old.

hth

My plan is to use only the metal housing and then install all the components of the retro kit,including screw on caps.
I originally had kit installed on a board(inside canopy) but really prefer some sort of housing.Seemed like a real fire hazard.
These strip housings appear to be a better choice than wood.

My first T12VHO lights were DIY. I used waterproof endcaps for the bulbs, then attached them in pieces of PVC gutter with matching gutter caps. You could easily do the same. Virtually corrosion proof. I used 18g thermostat wire for the electrical connections to the endcaps and ran that to the ballasts. It was a fairly easy project - in fact, I ended up sell quite a number of them because I could produce them for way less than a similar retail model. I still have one in my basement today - it's not in use only because I upgraded to LED. It is at least 25 years old.

hth
Very interesting and original.
Any pictures.

Sorry it took so long to get back.

Not the best pictures - I didn't exactly spend a whole lot of time cleaning it up 4 years ago when I upgraded, it had been in constant use for +/- 20 years, and it's been sitting in my indoor lumberyard ever since!

I used it with a Icecap 660 ballast.

uIqHizdl.jpg

Mcy4UmJl.jpg

Here's a picture of the tank they were used for.

p358MlYl.jpg

hth?

Last edited:
Looks very nice....
Next time around I'm going to just buy a fixture and make it fit.way too much time.
I wound up completely modifying a shop light to suit my needs.Came out really nice but what a PITA....

Ill try and post pictures when I get a chance.
Photobucket is not working for me anymore.How do you post?

Back