T5 Lampshade?

HarrisonMG

I have the aquatic life 36" 6 lamp T5 unit, and I'm hanging it up above my tank in my bedroom.

The goal of a reefer, I think, is for the first thing the person sees when they look up is their tank.
But the T5 is so bright that not only is it the first thing I see, but it hurts my eyes, especially in the evenings.

I want to make some type of lampshade that blocks light from going into my room, and I just don't know what to consider making it out of.

I could do black acrylic, but thats rather expensive.
I would need something hard, and reef safe. Maybe PVC sheet??

I also need to attach it somehow, but easily detachable or on a hinge or something--what about a clear plastic hinge secured with command strips maybe?

Thanks if you have any ideas!

attachment.php

Attachments

• PXZ_0399.jpg
    PXZ_0399.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
1/8 hardboard. corner brackets both to assemble a shade around the light, and used as hangers to just rest it on the light. counter sunk machine screws to keep it looking decent. couple cans of paint to bring it all together.

It'll be light, and easy to put together with basic tools.

HTH

I would make sure to use something that can deal w/ any heat as well as moisture, as well as sturdy but lightweight.
I would think something like abs sheeting

I believe that is what Misled used on his corner tank hood, perhaps search his build thread.

Light spill would drive me nuts, especially a bedroom tank!

What size tank is that? Maybe someone makes a canopy for it. Would be so much less hassle and you could tweak it to your liking

Its a standard 75 48".
I might try PVC sheeting--should be easy to cut

Another idea could be to still use PVC sheeting, cut into skinny strips the length of the light, put mirror film on either side, and hang each strip from the acrylic panel right below the divider between each ballast; effectively, if I were to get it right, I'd be extending the ballasts to be a little deeper, and all of the light would be directed only into the tank.

What size tank is that? Maybe someone makes a canopy for it. Would be so much less hassle and you could tweak it to your liking

I'm not sure im looking for a whole canopy; that seems expensive, bulky and heavy. Im hanging this light from the ceiling (actually, the hanging cable will go into my attic then down to my closet where I can adjust its height) so I don't know about a canopy with that either.

Back