t5ho on the cheap

atraperegrinus

Hey guys, I just have a FOWLR, and down the line here i might add a few mushrooms. i also have a feather duster.

I dont plan on adding much else for now.

My plan was originally to buy a set of 2 ocean revive t-247's for my 55 gallon tank. But due to financial issues right now I'm looking at cheaper alternatives for a few months.

Anyway, i found a cheapy $90 4 bulb 48" t5ho fixture, it comes with 2 12k and 2 Actinic blue bulbs. i wont link to the ebay ad since im a newer member here i dont want to get in trouble.

but my question is, this should be plenty for a fowlr and some basic soft corals shouldnt it? 4x54w t5ho. only thing is that i cant dim them.

this is the features listed in the ad
Dimensions - 48.00" x 7.08" x 2.36"
4 H.O. T5 Lamps Included 2 each 12,000K and Actinic Blues
Unit comes with built in timer There are parts of the light on a timer Total Power 216W
Directional Moonlight LEDs
Adjustable mounting brackets
Non-corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
Acrylic Splash Guard
Total Power 216W
Directional Moonlight LEDs
Adjustable mounting brackets
Non-corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
Acrylic Splash Guard
AC 100-120V 60Hz
Package includes:
1x 48" T5 Quad Timer fixture
1x Mounting Brackets
2x 54W T5 HO lamps 12000K
2x 54W T5 HO lamps Actinic Blue
4x LEDs

keep in mind right now im only using 1 t8 bulb that came with the tank from the previous owners, i mostly just want to add a few mushrooms and dont think my 1 t8 bulb will work.

would I even be better off with just a 2 bulb fixture? 1 blue 1 12k? i think the double bulb is only around $50.

again, its just a fowlr and i'd like to add some mushrooms.

thanks guys.

You won't get in trouble for posting it as long as it isn't your add :)

That said for just some shrooms the two bulb fixture is enough.

Or you can go bigger and be able to add more demanding coral later as your addiction grows

I plan to buy the OR t-247's in a few months.

I'm just looking for something I can pick up cheap to use for now, that will work, that i can save for an emergency.

this is the one i'm looking at, it's not my ad.

4 bulb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-T5-Aquarium-Light-Hood-216W-LED-Marine-Coral-Reef-Cichlid-12000k-actinic/252000399914?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D31233%26meid%3D22b45a7804a84cb6b6a7c14169943898%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271487635538&rt=nc
2 bulb
http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-T5-Aquar...651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aac65b473

like i said, i just have a fowlr, and i want mushrooms, and MAYBE some soft stuff, but my tank is narrow and i'm very limited, so i might only add mushrooms and maybe one other thing?

I'll save any coral purchases for when i have a bigger tank, or i have more money to play with.

if thats the case, will a 4 bulb be maybe too much? i dont want so much light i'll end up killing mushrooms and similar things.

the ones in my links look pretty decent, the hinge deal it has going looks like it could either be nice, or annoying. the 2 bulb is hard to pass up at that price, i assume the 2 bulb will be fine for mushrooms?

All i have right now is a perc clown, 2 feather dusters, a few hermits and snails. looking to get maybe mushrooms and one other thing.

OR should i buy the 4 bulb, and only run 2 bulbs? that way if i ever wanted to add 2 more, i could?

Last edited:
after my edit on the last post, i decided to say screw it, i ordered the 4 bulb, the 2 bulb doesnt have the build in led moon lights.

i figure if 2 bulbs is too much, i'll just pull 2 out.

it has a timer built in, so its not bad for $92. I'll post pics and a review when it comes.

thanks guys, and I'm still very open to other ideas aswell, i have till tomorrow to cancel if i want.

You're good to go. If it has a single ballast you may not be able to pull two of the bulbs without rewiring it. It likely has dual ballasts though.

I emailed them, clearly English isn't a first language, but it sounds like 2 banks of 2 bulbs, and 1switch for the leds, so that should mean 2 ballasts. Unless I'm interpreting this reply incorrectly

" Hi
4 bulbs.Controller to control the two bulbs.4 bulb controlled way (2).Led independent control. "

I forgot to update this. I got the one with a built in timer, and i ended up actually picking up a used one in a package deal that is not not timer version with 3 switches.

pretty decent light for $82 i'd say. I'm very happy with it, its sturdy, timer works well, and the hinges are good quality.

i cant compare the bulbs it came with to ati bulbs, but what do u expect for $82. it gets the job done for my fowlr and only a few softies.

down the line here i'll upgrade to LED's but these will easily tide me over for quite some time.

Back