Tampa Bay liverock

coral_lagoon

Pushrod Powered
This rock still amazes me. Its full of of critters. Sponges, brittle starfish,barnacles, corals, cucumbers, tunicates, algae eating crabs, pistol shrimps snails, macro algaes, dark purple coralline,etc etc. Tonight I saw a small sea urchin. Heres a picture I took..
IMG_0657.jpg

My Oculina coral from this rock.Has started to grow real nice. Two small arms/limbs on the bottem left..
IMG_0658.jpg

Nice,

How long have you had your rock.

I've had my TBS rock since 2002. People said the sponges would die.

I'm still waiting.

I'm going to get rock from TBS for my next tank. Did you do "the package" or just rock. If you got the package, how fine was your sand? Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15525133#post15525133 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aquaman67
Nice,

How long have you had your rock.

I've had my TBS rock since 2002. People said the sponges would die.

I'm still waiting.

:lmao: :lmao: ..

I have a grip of sponges . There must be few different kinds. Yellow ones, red ones, white ones. They look all different to. With that being said they are thriving and growing in my tank..

Guys I did not get the package. I just ordered the rock. Theres no rubble of any sort. Richard packs the rock in water. So everything on the rock is alive, not dead or rotten. You just put it straight in your tank. I didnt even get any ammonia spikes. I ordered over 100lbs from him..
IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

Nice Oculina sps coral
IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0544.jpg

How are the gorilla crabs? My boss got some a long time ago and it was packed full with them. He also got a mother octo that had babies. It was awesome looking rock though - full of life, sponges, gorgonians, etc.

I have heard mixed about TBS but from this post it seems that they are really out to please their customers, very nice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15527952#post15527952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pIankton
How are the gorilla crabs? My boss got some a long time ago and it was packed full with them. He also got a mother octo that had babies. It was awesome looking rock though - full of life, sponges, gorgonians, etc.

When I recieved the rock. I shook each rock in water. And using a LED flashlight and a bamboo skewer in one hand looked for any un-wanted hitch hikers. With that being said, there were a few type of crabs. Gorilla, porcelin, and another type of algae eating crabs. Was my rock packed with them? No. I just got rid of the gorilla crabs which wasnt hard to do..

Another big thing I like about this rock, is that it is very porious. Lots of tunnels, holes. This is real good for biological filtration..

I got some TBS rock from someone tearing down a tank and it was quite dense, probably twice that of the fiji. But that was purchased at least a few years ago so I can't say what it is like currently.

I'm more concerned about some freaky hitchhiker I can't catch. But I guess you have to take that chance to get that reward.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15531764#post15531764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by small alien
I'm more concerned about some freaky hitchhiker I can't catch. But I guess you have to take that chance to get that reward.

If you follow what I did,You wont have any "freaky" hitchhikers.. Its easy..:thumbsup:

I bought it specifically to get freaky hitchikers! To each their own, I suppose.

To me....live rock isn't live rock unless it has a lot of life in it. Impossible to separate the good from the problematic. That's how it goes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15527952#post15527952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pIankton

Wow an octopus family coming in on the live rock? That is hard core!

Coming home from work tonight I saw something moving pretty fast on the front of my tank. I looked closely and couldn't believe it was a small abalone. He was grazing on the algae on the glass.

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15554721#post15554721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ludnix
Are you sure that's not a stomatella snail?

well when he climbed back on to the rock. I looked at his back shell, and it had the "abalone" holes on it. Not to mention the shape to. Ill try and get better pics of him when he's out and about again..

Back