Tang Compatitbility

monkey4life

Currently I have a Yellow Tang and a Tomini Tang in my 125. I'm going to be receiving an adult (6") desjardini tang (and a similarly sized CBB) in the next few weeks. I had about 3 days of aggression between the two when I introduced the yellow tang. I'm expecting some aggression between the Tangs, however I'm more concerned with this addition due to the zebrasoma genus. I have a few mirrors I'll use for distraction, as well as opaque tank dividers to break up the full tank width sight-lines. any other preparations or suggestions?

current stock-
Male melanarus
3 perc clowns
2 yellow tail damsels
5" yellow tang
5-6" tomini tang
diamond goby

You do know that the sailfin can/will get very large? IMO you are asking for problems trying to shoe-horn one into a 125. I'd not do it.

You do know that the sailfin can/will get very large? IMO you are asking for problems trying to shoe-horn one into a 125. I'd not do it.

What he said. The yellow will definitely try to take out any new tang in this sized tank.

tang police is going to get us... but...

my 150, i started with a hippo and yellow tang that was from my 65g, they are respectively 6" and 5"

I later added a Desjardini tang, about 6", and my yellow harassed the hell out of him, so I shut the lights off for 2 days... afterwards, they pick on each other here and there, but they are fine, this was 6 months ago

I wouldn't worry so much for the CBB, I have one too, but he was in there before the Desjardini, tangs never mess with him, if they approach him, he turns and spikes his dorsal fin towards them and they back off

1. Tank is too small for a Sailfin

2. The CBB may get stressed out also by both Tangs. I would make sure it is eating very aggressively before introducing it because once it gets stressed out, it may stop eating.

Back