Tang experts...

gsiegel

I am adding a gem tang after being able to finally get out a bully of a chevron tang and rehome him. I also have A few other tangs including a naso, hippo, desjardins, and purple. The purple is about 4-5 inches while the gem is about 7 inches. Would you recommend putting the purple in the refigium for a week while the gem gets used to his new home?

So I did get the purple tang out and into the refugium that is about 24 x 18 with live rock, algae, plenty of flow. Think he should be fine for a week while the gem gets used to the tank? Replies appreciated. Thanks!

Purple will be fine for more than a week in that refugium. Take as long as you need to make sure that Gem is comfortable and fat and happy.

In a 300 I think you would've been ok regardless, especially since the Gem is bigger than the Purple. But yeah if you want to do that just to be safe, go for it.

I have a 300 (8 foot long, 30 inches front to back. 24 inches high). I currently have 11 tangs in it Haha.
8 inch Blonde Naso
7 inch Djesardini
6 inch Gem
5 inch Hippo
5 inch Naso
Three 4 inch Yellow.
4 inch purple
2 inch hippo
2 inch Kole

Everybody getting along great. Although i have noticed the past couple weeks 2 of the yellows seem to be picking on the third yellow. No fins missing or anything though. Just some chasing. hopefully it will stop soon.

Purple will be fine for more than a week in that refugium. Take as long as you need to make sure that Gem is comfortable and fat and happy.

In a 300 I think you would've been ok regardless, especially since the Gem is bigger than the Purple. But yeah if you want to do that just to be safe, go for it.

I have a 300 (8 foot long, 30 inches front to back. 24 inches high). I currently have 11 tangs in it Haha.

Wow!! Great yours all get along. When did you add that gem in that mix. I previosly tried a gem (about 4 inches) and my kole tang bullied it to death. I was finally able to rehome the kole (about 5-6 inches) - he was a jerk. My hippo (about 8 inches) can sometimes be a bit bossy too so hoping all goes well this time with the big gem. Pending the weather he is set to arrive Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Purple not happy but put a clam in the refugium that he is happily going ti town on without the competition from the others. Glad to see him eating.

I demur. Doesn’t matter how big a tank is; if one fish gets that homicidal feeling towards another it won’t matter. I introduced a 5” gem into my 450 last year and my similar sized purple gave it a really hard time to the point where there was an open gash on the side of the gem. Purple was trapped and banished to the frag tank for a month. Upon reintroducing it, a general truce was reached. They now mostly co-exist.

Wow!! Great yours all get along. When did you add that gem in that mix. I previosly tried a gem (about 4 inches) and my kole tang bullied it to death. I was finally able to rehome the kole (about 5-6 inches) - he was a jerk. My hippo (about 8 inches) can sometimes be a bit bossy too so hoping all goes well this time with the big gem. Pending the weather he is set to arrive Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

Purple not happy but put a clam in the refugium that he is happily going ti town on without the competition from the others. Glad to see him eating.

I added the Gem tang first actually. It wouldnt be the worst idea to add another tang at the same time as the Gem to spread out any aggression.

I would rearrange rock work and put mirrors on the outside of the tank. I agree with Simon, no matter the tank size when one fish becomes agressive and territorial it’s a problem. I have had problems with tangs in my 625 on more than one occasion

Back