Tang question

Carl Barone

My question is what should I look for what killed 4 tangs in a week. One by one they would die they ate till their last day. They showed no signs of stress. In a 24 hr. period I noticed that they would always go into the return area in the tank where the flow was the strongest before they die. My last tang did not have any spots at all no discoloration at all. I have 2 maroon clowns, 4 green chromis, yellowhead goby. I have 125 reef tank. Everything else is fine.

The fact they would hang around the return maybe for some oxygen.Fish get there oxygen from water flow and surface exchange. If all you have is the return then ill bet your lacking flow and O2. Just because the other fish seem fine means nothing. Adding one more fish to a very low O2 supply means less O2 for all.

You need a minimum of 20 times exchange. Or if you have a 125 gallon tank times 20 equals = 2500 GPH. So what does your return pump put out and then what powerheads do you have?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674057#post12674057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Carl Barone
I have a 700 gallon per hr pondmaster for the return and a 400 gph Koralia

as Lance state above you would not have adequate enough flow for your tank.

other areas of oygenation/gas exchange

surface of the water should be churning and not covered by glass or anything similar

a good skimmer will add alot of oxygen

a refugium with macro aglae will add oxygen and at the same time reduce carbon dioxide

corals and algae produce oxygen through photosynthesis

Re: Tang question

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12673879#post12673879 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Carl Barone
My question is what should I look for what killed 4 tangs in a week. One by one they would die they ate till their last day. They showed no signs of stress. In a 24 hr. period I noticed that they would always go into the return area in the tank where the flow was the strongest before they die. My last tang did not have any spots at all no discoloration at all. I have 2 maroon clowns, 4 green chromis, yellowhead goby. I have 125 reef tank. Everything else is fine.

sorry for your loss

mysterious deaths--possibly flukes

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...=1260067&highlight=flukes+and+their+treatment

Lightbulb moment. Yes , macro algea would add O2.Good point. Anyway adding some more flow in there would work very fast and you should see a change in the current stocks activities.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674190#post12674190 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plateboy3293
Get a koralia 4 thats 1200 gph that will improve your oxygen content per square foot

providing there is turbulant surface movement and or good movement through the refugium;)

surfaceflow.jpg

With flukes would I need to also clean my entire tank out after I do a freshwater dip. I think that is what a Chevron Tang has that I have in a different tank.

Tangs can have flukes and if it doesnt stress out then you will never know it.
Do you have it in the tank now?

I don't have it in the 125 because I am afraid to put any tang in there now after the 4 rip's I have it in a seperate holding tank right now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674223#post12674223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Carl Barone
With flukes would I need to also clean my entire tank out after I do a freshwater dip. I think that is what a Chevron Tang has that I have in a different tank.

no after you do a 10 min freshwater dip then you release the fish back into the main tank--you may have to do another freshwater dip however later on if you notice the symptoms coming back

Im thinking it is a flow/O2 issue. I have about a 60x turnover rate in my 125g. A Turbo Sea 1740 as my return, 2 Koralia 4's, 2 Seio 820's, 2 Maxijet 1200's in my display and 2 koralia nano's in my fuge. I also have a Bermuda 3C skimmer with a mag 7. What does the surface of your water look like? Surface agitation is key. This is what mine looks like.

flow.jpg

Wow , nice coralline. Is that your main tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674332#post12674332 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan
Im thinking it is a flow/O2 issue. I have about a 60x turnover rate in my 125g. A Turbo Sea 1740 as my return, 2 Koralia 4's, 2 Seio 820's, 2 Maxijet 1200's in my display and 2 koralia nano's in my fuge. I also have a Bermuda 3C skimmer with a mag 7. What does the surface of your water look like? Surface agitation is key. This is what mine looks like.

flow.jpg

A pic cant really give the full effect. Just shoot for a minimum of 20 times water flow rate and not useing return pumps or filters as part of this number. Then powerhead placement just as important.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12674478#post12674478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Carl Barone
I do have ripples running along the top about 3/4 of the tank. Not like that though

Back