Tank blow out/Liability question

TampaSnooker

I hope it's OK to ask this here. I had a service account that I just started working with in June have a blow out. The damage caused was all preexisting conditions. The previous service attempted to patch the 3-4" section of the front verticle edge with aquamend or similar epoxy several years ago. The client told him to ignore the problem. Upon removing the tank and cabinet, I discovered that the wall was covered in black mold due to a leaky spigot for the RO. 2 electrical outlets were also scorched, but no real damage.

The animals are all fine, living in rubbermaid reefs in my living room while a replacement tank is built. (thanks, Scott!) We only lost a few of the corals that dried out at the top and were burnt by the MH, but have frags of them growing elsewhere.

The real issue concerning me is: should I be concerned that I might have inherited the liability for these preexisting issues by buying the other company's service accounts?

I posted this in the q+a forum as well: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075693

I apologize if this post violates the UA in any way. I'm just hoping for advice from anyone in the insurance field or another professional that may have had to deal with such a circumstance.

Call your insurance company they should be able to help you decipher the fine print, assuming you carry GL or some other of specific policy?

Liability issues can only get worse when posted in public. You should not add fuel to the fire.

KC - I have a good policy. I just don't want to have to use it since I did not set up any of the equipment on this tank. I've only been caring for it since June.

Boatguy - I'm not sure what you're saying. I've never been in this situation before.

The Dr seems to be a good person. When I told him I was afraid that I'd be held responsible, he said he would rescind his claim if they came after me. He also made a point of admitting in front of his wife/office manager and my assistant that he refused to address the leak when it started. My insurance wants that in writing and I'm supposed to keep the defective tank for evidence. What a headache today has been...

I can't possibly see how you take on liability for purchasing an account from another provider...however we do live in a litigious society. I would document everything and keep as record....Doubtful the insurance company would come after you.

Back