Tank Bred, Tank Raised, Certified Captive -- whats the big deal?

ericwebster

Premium Member
Once in a while while poking around the web in this hobby -- I noticed that people use qualifers often when describing where and how things were captures and raised.

Whats the big deal? Some things easier to take care of? Hardier?

Its a very vague question -- I would entertain even a vague answer.

well by getting stuff straight from the ocean, you generally dont know either a) how old it is, b)how healthy it is, or c) if its even eating.

But imo, the biggest thing is that captive bred stuff will adapt to your tank more readily than stuff from the ocean, which has never been in a tank before and never had all the artificial stuff, you know?

oh, and by getting captive bred stuff, you're "saving the ocean" so to speak. If there's captive bred stuff on the market, that means we're not taking quite as much directly from the ocean.

Some times people use less than great ways to catch fish or take corals. These other types of fish/corals/inverts are removed from sometimes destructive and sometimes deadly ways to capture things in the wild.

The other ways of raising are more expensive. Yes, they generally are more healty and less likely to have issues once you get them.

ya, like petco and just general pet stores (not strictly dedicated to saltwater or even fish in general) will usually use some chemical to catch the fish...i cant rememeber the name, but i think it sounds something like cyano (i know thats not it tho...thats a bacteria :) ) but it supposedly "stunns" the fish, or makes them kinda week or slow or something so the people can just pick them up basically...imo, thats very bad for any type of animal, and you can see the results when you buy from places that use this method...if you're buying from a fish store, you usualy dont have to worry about it, but if its just some pet store, then their fish usually dont do well, and imo, its because of the method used to catch them. There are a few good petcos tho, dont get me wrong. One of the locals (local to me) is a manager at a petco and his store is pretty nice in their fish section actaully. But then you drive a couple miles away and the tanks are always infested w/cyano, flatworms, etc...

they use cyanide to catch mass amounts of fish quickly and effieciently. I think half die pretty quickly, and the rest don't live that long.

Re: , Tank Raised, -- whats the big deal?

Re: , Tank Raised, -- whats the big deal?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8131895#post8131895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ericwebster
Once in a while while poking around the web in this hobby -- I noticed that people use qualifers often when describing where and how things were captures and raised.

Whats the big deal? Some things easier to take care of? Hardier?

Its a very vague question -- I would entertain even a vague answer.

Tank Bred- raised from the eggs of a spawning pair of captive fish

Tank Raised - small coral fish or clam that is grown out in a captive environment.

Certified Captive - wild caught but they held it for a while to make sure it thives or eats in a captive environment ????? who knows how long that period is . week ? 6 months ? 3 days ?

IMHO the first two will increase your chances at success with that organism dramatically because they grew up in dirty water(as compared to the ocean), the artificial environment and unnatural foods.

Back