Tank Damage: Is it safe?

Shniggysaurus

We recently acquired this 75 gallon tank and I noticed this chip in the glass. The tank holds water without leaking a drop, but I am wondering if it is safe to bring in to our home. Its 48x19x19 and the chip is 2/3 up from the bottom. What do you think?
IMG_20161023_175823.jpg
IMG_20161023_195252.jpg
IMG_20161023_195301.jpg
IMG_20161023_195311.jpg

I don't think it is worth the risk. The tank is the cheapest part of the things you need and it's integrity is rather important

I don't think it is worth the risk. The tank is the cheapest part of the things you need and it's integrity is rather important

Agreed. My guess is that is wouldn't leak if you filled it with Silicone, but in the grand scheme the tank is cheap to replace now, not so much later.

I'm not sure I would call that a chip, more like a crater. It may hold water, but will it hold sand and live rock also? That could be a real expensive disaster waiting to happen. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with that tank as it looks like the chipped area is very close to the silicone.

It only takes one time for a disaster of a tank blowing a seal and you will never ask this question again! Yep, I speak from experience. Resealed a 300 DT to come home one day to find it half empty. Not only will you cause more pressure by adding sand and rock, power heads will move water with force!

If that were at the top of the glass I'd tell you to fill it with epoxy and move on. But at the bottom... that's a huge problem looking for a place to happen. It may hold up just fine... but for how long? I'd sell it to somebody doing reptiles.

Back