tank dead-what happened

lmh11706

due to hurricane irene i lost power for 54 hours-basically came down to not having flow for that time-after 24-36 hours all the fish except a couple died and the corals damaged or dead

why after such a short time-what happened

everything suffocated, once the fish started to die, the ammonia would have spiked...corals cant breath without water movement they would have also suffocated in their own slime and excrement.

i am very sad for your losses and for everyone else who had to deal with Irene, and who are still dealing with Irene...

everything suffocated, once the fish started to die, the ammonia would have spiked...corals cant breath without water movement they would have also suffocated in their own slime and excrement.

i am very sad for your losses and for everyone else who had to deal with Irene, and who are still dealing with Irene...

Exactly. My sympathies as well.

Sorry for your losses; that's kinda my worst nightmare. I have been hearing blurbs from local news at how people's fish are dying in my area. Sad

I am also hearing about people using their generators (On the local news) to support their tanks in addition to other things like the refrigerator. One man died yesterday because he was running his generator in his attached garage. His daughter came home and found him, the mother, and two siblings passed out in the living room. He passed away and the rest are in ICU now. This was about 10 minutes from me.

I am going to do some generator shopping though. I was one of the lucky ones, but your misfortune really sucks. Again, sorry.

Sorry for your losses.

Could the deaths be delayed? I had a blenny die today for no reason that I can find. My only test that is not perfect is my nitrate is 5 ppm on an API test kit. Everything else is 100%. I lost power Saturday night for about 5 hours. I did put a bubbler in the tank on a battery backup which lasted maybe 2 hours. So the tank was still for 3 to 4 hours. The other fish seem fine. It is a young lightly stocked tank with 4 fish in a 120G, with one small little coral and some algae. I also have a kole eye tang that was in my 20g QT. He is not eating well, but otherwise seems fine (only had about 1 week). Could it be delayed that long, I though oxygen deprivation was quickly corrected?

The tank had been fully back up for 2 1/2 days then I found the blenny dead. Everyone else is fine, fingures crossed for the morning.

Sorry for you losses as well. I've been through long power outages and if the flow doesnt' get you the heat is always your enemy. All...you have to be as prepared as possible, and I'm not talking about your tanks. The most important aspect of any of these natural disasters is your safety first. Have a plan, test the plan then enact the plan! I test my generator every little flicker of power and at least twice a year.

I run the generator for my deep freeze, fridge, radio and then tank flow. I only run the essentials.

Again, so sorry for you loss and hope you don't get discouraged...plan for and be ready for the enivitable is what I always say.

Back