Tank Feeding

Viv07

Hello, My name is Viv. I'm fairly new to this hobby. My question is how often do i feed my tank? i have a 29 gal tank with a few fish no corals. I've been told that i can skip a day or two? In order to keep Nitrates down. Some outside Intel would be great! Thanks

Fishmaster13

I do 1-2 times a week in my biocube with assorted corals, sps, lps, softies etc. and fish.

One time a week! What fish do you have! Most all fish need at least 4-5 feedings a week, and it's best to feed them a couple very small feeding everyday once a day is fine, or once every other day but no less than that.

Azedenkae

Hello, My name is Viv. I'm fairly new to this hobby. My question is how often do i feed my tank? i have a 29 gal tank with a few fish no corals. I've been told that i can skip a day or two? In order to keep Nitrates down. Some outside Intel would be great! Thanks

I feed them 1-3 times a day. Keep them fat and healthy.

I personally feed as much food as my live stock need, and that my filtration can handle. I am not a believer of lowering feeding TO keep my parameters down. If there is issues with the parameters, my course of action would be to improve the filtration system, not reduce feeding.

rfgonzo

2-3 times a day, I like my fish to be healthy. As a human we could also skip eating for a day or two and survive, but would we be healthy? This is not to say that fish need to eat as much as humans, but they do have a metabolism.

Last edited:

snorvich

Team RC member
Team RC

Hey Viv,

Always best to feed small quantities multiple times per day.

[welcome]

cloak

Feeding one good meal a day has always worked well for me. Growth is good, the colors are bright and the fish tend to stick around for awhile. ;)

Variety is key...

coffee_snob

2-3 times per day.

2:00pm - AFS feeds while I'm at work
6:00pm - Hand feed when I get home
9:00pm - If I do feed the third time, it's with frozen brine shrimp