Tank Feeding

Viv07

Hello, My name is Viv. I'm fairly new to this hobby. My question is how often do i feed my tank? i have a 29 gal tank with a few fish no corals. I've been told that i can skip a day or two? In order to keep Nitrates down. Some outside Intel would be great! Thanks

I do 1-2 times a week in my biocube with assorted corals, sps, lps, softies etc. and fish.

One time a week! What fish do you have! Most all fish need at least 4-5 feedings a week, and it's best to feed them a couple very small feeding everyday once a day is fine, or once every other day but no less than that.

Hello, My name is Viv. I'm fairly new to this hobby. My question is how often do i feed my tank? i have a 29 gal tank with a few fish no corals. I've been told that i can skip a day or two? In order to keep Nitrates down. Some outside Intel would be great! Thanks

I feed them 1-3 times a day. Keep them fat and healthy.

I personally feed as much food as my live stock need, and that my filtration can handle. I am not a believer of lowering feeding TO keep my parameters down. If there is issues with the parameters, my course of action would be to improve the filtration system, not reduce feeding.

2-3 times a day, I like my fish to be healthy. As a human we could also skip eating for a day or two and survive, but would we be healthy? This is not to say that fish need to eat as much as humans, but they do have a metabolism.

Last edited:

Hey Viv,

Always best to feed small quantities multiple times per day.

[welcome]

Feeding one good meal a day has always worked well for me. Growth is good, the colors are bright and the fish tend to stick around for awhile. ;)

Variety is key...

2-3 times per day.

2:00pm - AFS feeds while I'm at work
6:00pm - Hand feed when I get home
9:00pm - If I do feed the third time, it's with frozen brine shrimp

Back