Tank ideas

dmlax144

HI! I am starting a tank of my own. I am on a budget but I really like corals and fish. I want a 10 gallon but I am unsure of what my lighting and filtration options are. I have seen modded aquaclears and 2 bulb t5's that I could afford. Are said 2 bulb t5's enough light to support sps or a clam? Also would a modded aquaclear (refugium) provide sufficient filtration?

Yes. Some high end HO T5s can support clams near the middle or top of your tank. I successfully grew SPS with my HO T5s before I got tired of them and moved to all LPS. Your live rock is your filtration. You can mod an AquaClear 70 or so to make a nice HOB fuge though.

Slow down there, LOL! Do you have any experience? If not, clams and SPS in a 10 is a tall order. Not saying its impossible, but not an easy thing to do, and definitely not where you want to start. GL either way. I love nanos. I have quite a few SPS in my 14, but I started with softies then LPS. No way SPS would have lived in the beginning, LOL!

they have some LEDs on ebay for just a little more then that. a par 38 might work too.

Why not look into FS section or CL. People leaving the hobby all the time and often sell their system for cheap.

i ordered some led lights from one of those wholesale from china websites, and they worked for about 1 day and then died....that warranty is important, keep that in mind!

they have some LEDs on ebay for just a little more then that. a par 38 might work too.

The low end LEDs or T5s (I think he quoted $100 for them) are not going to be able to support fresh water java ferns, let alone SPS corals.

If you are looking for good LEDs you don't have to shell out $700 for a pop (each), check out Ecoxotic. You can build them as you go and they're more than adequate to support everything you mentioned. The reason I suggest these is b/c each module is roughly $100. Start slow.

Back