Tank light, room light , day light dilemma

Hi all.

Currently working on a new tank build and starting to see a potential issue so I just want to post and maybe hear some other opinions. I see myself possibly battling an excessive light situation once up and running. The tank is going in my family room and while it is not getting plasters by direct sunlight it will be in the part of my house that get the most natural light as it’s pretty much lit all day with the windows facing directly south. On the flip side given that I’m pretty much a night owl on a work day so not going to bed till 12-1 am is usally common to have house lighting on till then . I live in a wood area that gets pitch black at night once sunsets hits so lights are constantly being turn on and off as I move about. The house does happens to be very open concept and the tank can be seen from every rooms. Pretty much not matter what room I’m in, if a have a light on it’s going to shine in the tank.

If I run my lighting early in the day. I have some worry that at night the excessive light switching on and off will cause stress to the fish. Especially when going from pitch black to a fully lit room

If I run the lighting later in the day to combat all the flickering. Then all the morning day light is just joint to cut into sleep schedules. Room darkening curtains are one thing I’m starting to weigh at the moment to potentially allow the later in the day light schedule but have fully decided yet

Out side of losing darkness for sleeping is the any major harm having the lights start between 12-2 in conjunction To having already received natural day light up till then?

Appreciate any input.

No issues that I can think of off the top of my head. I know many people adjust lighting schedules to when they are most active. As for the excess light, you may have some excess algae but if it’s not getting direct sunlight, I don’t see too much of an issue arising out of it.

1000 Lux is 23 par in daylight
16 par with warm white led bulbs.

Buy
a cheap lux meter or use a phone app to figure what you are actually dealing with.
Your room lights are probably not ever an issue.

Indirect sunlight can be another story.
Anywhere from 4000 Lux is possible
100,000-ish Lux is approx daylight max.

Last edited:
So to shift focus on this topic from the light itself. To potential fish stress. If I run light in connection with the natural day cycle. Is there any major concern to fish them self stress wise if at night when main tank lights are off if the room the tank is in is constantly going from total darkness to getting light if from the main room or from a room over (open concept home). If there is potential for stress would just leaving the light on the the room the whole time be more practical to the fish to prevent them from completely settling down. Right now most of my house is on smart motion switch to shut off if no activity.

When my fish are in sleep mode and I happen to turn on a room light, does not seem to affect them at all. Now these are not big lights shinning directly in that tank. Mine is built into wall so pretty shady.

Use an opaque blue or black background on the back of the tank.
Build your rockwork so that there is shaded areas.
A Hood will help too.

The fish will be fine.

Use an opaque blue or black background on the back of the tank.
Build your rockwork so that there is shaded areas.
A Hood will help too.

The fish will be fine.
Background are not and option . This tank will be pretty much 360 degrees. In wall one side and protruding on to the floor on the other side with all piping running up sides between a 7 in double studded wall.

As long as there’s plenty of caves/shaded area, the fish should be perfectly fine.

Back