Tank of the month - July 2012!

Very nice tank
You stated you dosed lugols iodine
wow much do you dose into your system , I also dose lugols
I have a anemone set up trying to figure out est dosage
Thanks For The Help

Hi Tony !ç

my congrats from Panama awesome reef tank and spectacular colors with yr T5 lights combination.

Regards
Fernando Chang
Panama

Beautiful tank... and some great photography as well. Love those reflection shots! :beachbum:

Tony, I tried but was unable to PM you. Please PM me if you get a chance. Thanks!

I love your simplistic approach to reef keeping! I thought I was on an island along using algae as my guide and testing only once in a blue moon! I love hearing your method is much like mine...and your tank looks amazing!! I'm in love with the colors, they suck me right in. I'd never leave the couch

Congrats!!!

Hi Guys,

Firstly I'm sorry I've not been on line much to answer your questions.

I've had a rather turbulent few weeks at home, I've recently found out my wife has been having an affair since May. This really knocked the wind out me, I felt devastated. Suddenly fish forums, well, most things actually, just did not matter. We're getting a divorce.

Any way enough of my problems. Life goes on.

Thanks to each and every one of you, thank you so much for all the compliments and kind words, if I've missed any questions feel free to ask again.

Tony,
Question about your lobophyllia and your radiata, what has been your experience with these? I've got a radiata and a red lobophyllia like yours. Do you find either one to be sensitive to light?
Also, have either one of these ever displayed territorial issues with the other corals?
Thanks. :)

Hi April,

Yes both of mine are fairly sensitive to light, as a rough rule, I find any soft fleshy corals do better in low light and low flow. The softer and fleshier they are, the less energy (light/water power) they need. The opposite is often true for harder rigid corals. There's a few exceptions to this rule, as with all rules!

Yes the lobo in particular is aggressive.

Tony

Love Your Tank !!
Question- I wanna go No Live Rock in my tank When I get back into the hobby- So-- Did you use starboard on the bottom and How do you attach the coral Frags ???

Coral frags are attached using milliput reef putty. I have no idea what starboard is?

Why you use T5 for light and not other light that there is in the market?
Like led or MH.
Thanks

Metal halide is ok, but I think T5 is better. LEDs are not quite there yet, yes they can grow SPS but they're still too expensive for me and I am confident the price of LEDs will tumble over the next few years.

Very nice tank
You stated you dosed lugols iodine
wow much do you dose into your system , I also dose lugols
I have a anemone set up trying to figure out est dosage
Thanks For The Help

Iodine is a potential tank killer. I'd strongly advise anyone who is considering dosing to test their tank frequently during dosing iodine and only dose what your system uses. Once you know the general trend of iodine consumption for your system (every tank will differ) then if you can't be bothered to regularly test iodine (like me) and you 'blind dose' then I would suggest dosing half of what you think your tank uses. You're far better off under dosing, or not dosing iodine at all, rather than over dosing.

Tony

Congratulations. Great tank. I think the layout is fantastic.
Have you had any aiptasia problems with this tank?

Congratulations. Great tank. I think the layout is fantastic.
Have you had any aiptasia problems with this tank?

Thanks for your praise and.compliments. Yes I've got aiptasia but I've managed them with peppermint shrimps and boiling water applied with a turkey baster.

Tony, I am sorry to hear about the problems at home, as you said, life goes on and there are alot of better options in your future to look forward to rather than looking back :)

us reefers are here if you need anything :)

tank upgrade time soon maybe :)

Back