Tank of the Month - June 2012

Just a wonderful looking tank!! However, to me, the most amazing part is the set-up. It is out of the box thinking. You took ideas and principles regarding husbandry and filtration, applied those in a unique fashion, and have a one of a kind system that works wonderfully well!! :thumbsup:

I disagree that this tank is simplistic. This system is quite complex and well thought out. It is so complex and well thought out, that the result seems simplistic. And that, IMO, is the pure genius in letter2no's tank. Congrats, and well deserved!!

New Aquarist here Nano and wow a beautiful tank! Simplistic? I am totally confused by it all but give me a week I will figure it out :p. Again congrats and what an amazing tank!

WOW...WOW...WOW!!! I am such a big fan of the no WC. However this is extreme! I could never figure out how such a simple system is so successful.

Letter2No... Would you be so kind and show us your dosing routine, please..

Also for my education, please tell me the generic form of these addictives and where I can find them..

Calcium Cloride (???)
Magnisium Cloride/Sulfate (???)
Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate (Baking soda..yes i know this one)

Thank you so much... You are my idol!

You must have a chemistry or biology background
Kerja apa?
I agree with earlier post that it is so well thought out it LOOKS simple

So is that a generic skimmer or some name brand? It does make a difference to me. There's a big difference between skimmers out there. SO I'm curious if that's just some generic no-name skimmer. Would not surprise if it is. I'm too shocked by what I'm reading to be shocked any more.

You don't run any sorta CARBON in a bag or reactor either right? I was thinking if there was anything in your "mountain water" this could help remove it. I just hope nothing gets in your water. That would suck. An RO/DI system, trash can/holders, filters can be another small investment.

Now I remember it... years ago I did advise people I was using simple wet/dry bio-balls and said it was fine based on my experience for a simple reef tank with softies etc. It performed just as well as what I have now actually with much more expensive equipment. I have other issues with flow and lighting keeping me from getting into SPS.

Link to pics:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=6160
Link to specs:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2161826
I was trying to sell my system to go bigger and redo it from scratch b/c my LFS told me it was just not a good stand for lighting (can't control height and no room), sump too hard to get to, not setup for good flow, etc. I don't think anybody is going to buy it. Not much happening after 2+ months. And I don't want to part it out. I have live corals and fish so I can't sell ... just the sump.. what somebody asked today.

Like I said my bio-balls were suspended in air on a tray so water could run over the balls. Are they just submerged in your DIY skimmer?

No carbon, no gfo, no dosing pumps, no water changes...

Softies, lps, sps in the same system...

Ceramic rings and bioballs...

Beautiful tank.

I give up trying to understand this hobby.

Being new I agree haha I'll still keep pushing through. Seeing a tank like this will definitely keep me goin:fish1:

Amazing!!!!!

Amazing!!!!!

I rarely comment on the tank of the month but this tank is a total exception. Not to mention the glory of the aquascape and the fantastic coral and living stock arrangement. Just the orange plate coral on the lower left corner LPS SPS total set this tank apart from all I've see.

Letter2No, you head and shoulders deserve this moment. Us reef keepers know the work that goes into a tank like that masterpiece.

simplicity at its finest

simplicity at its finest

Great work on your tank I don't know how you do it not changing water out in your system. But the pictures speak for themselves. AAA+ job

Great tank

Great tank

What is the white funnel type coral on the tank of the month.. Also what is the red one in the middle..

Back