Tank Photos

Would love to give constructive critisism but not much there but a mandarin and some polyps. THE PICTURES THOUGH ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! What camera did you use.!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice photography. That elegance coral appears to be from Jakarta and probably will not survive. That mandarin is in a tank a bit too new for ample copepods. May or may not work. That is a LOT of livestock for a 3 month old tank. Problematical.

Nice photography! A few things came to mind while looking at your photos:

- I agree with snorvich that your tank has a lot of livestock for such a young tank. Looking at your green background it almost looks as if it's just got done with cycling and is at the stage right before corraline algae starts to kick in.

- About the elegance coral: They are one of the most finiky corals out there. Veteran reefkeepers can't keep them half the time while brand new reefers keep them successfully. What seems to be understood thus far is that they like nutrient rich water... something to keep in mind. I do suggest that if as soon as the coral looks to be going south, get it out pronto.

- I like the rockwork, very nice!

- What are your teank's specs and equipment??

- I forgot to mention about the Mandarin: It's another worry. Not only do you have a new tank with the copepod poulation low, but you also have other fish in there with him/her competing for them... and a slow fish like a mandarin has no chance. Are you feeding your tank copepods on a regular basis?

I also think the rockwork and the placement of everything is excellent! Very nice! The only criticism I can offer has already been mentioned. Sometimes livestock seem to do better when added a bit slower. Gives the tank more time to stabilize I guess. It may work out though, cause nothing is absolute. When I started out, I wasted alot of cash because of my impatience and bad advice from a LFS. Your setup looks very nice and I think your on the right track, being here on RC. Lots of good people on here with alot of saltwater wisdom. Best of luck!!

Apreciate the criticism. The elegance was doing great until I moved him, he was sold as "aussie elegance" and looks like it in some shots, he has gotten sickly lately. Should I move him out?

The Mandarin was a mistake, but I love him. I am feeding him pods a lot right now maybe a pack a week, he is loving it and doing well. I am getting a refugium in my sump, and try and grow pods.

The tank is a 90gal AGA tank. with a 30gal sump below. Mag9.5 return pump, Korelia 3 for circluation. Have Coralife Power Compacts 4x64.

Very nice set up, what do you think of the Koralia, I have purchased one (Same as yours, #3) for my 40 Breeder and am wondering if I will need more for my softie tank.

I am glad to hear you are actively feeding your mandarin, most just assume they'll live, even after being warned. If your elegance start showing the death look, I would pull him out then. Have you tried feeding it at all?

i feed the elegance (and the rest of my corals) twice a week with phyto plankton, cyclopeeze, live brine, frozen mysis, and chopped silversides (mixed and shot from a baster).

Back