Tank Rack Question

president89

I built a veritcal rack for for 2 33 g longs - one tank per level. Because it's physically impossible to have the top rack have supported 2x4's around the perimeter of the tank, because there is no room underneath due to the same size tank, I sistered up some 2x4's and plan to put plywood across so that the weight is distributed. Honestly, I think the screws holding the sistered up 2x4's can hold the tank, but no point in skimping there.

1. Do I need to use pressure treated plywood?
2. I used unpressure treated premium studs - do I need to paint or stain this rack? I don't think saltwater rots wood the same way freshwater does. Not sure about warping.

2016-08-01%2010.20.09.jpg

158f4838-718f-4f70-9bad-108c880773b6.jpg

Last edited:
You would be wise to paint it.. It will just make it last longer..
water rots.. no matter if salt or fresh..

A few coats of regular latext paint goes a long way in protecting the wood..

I've never used pressure treated or marine grade or anything.. Just regular wood and then painted or stained/sealed it..

I would just use regular plywood and not pressure treated. A paint or stain would be good at least on the base or where you think might have splashes, drips, etc. just to help protect it like mcgyvr suggested.

That will hold a TANK... No not a fish tank.. A military tank.. :)

Throw on plywood and good to go.. Plenty of strength there..
Far more 2x4's than needed but if you can't build it right.. build for overkill..
You achieved overkill :p

That will hold a TANK... No not a fish tank.. A military tank.. :)

Throw on plywood and good to go.. Plenty of strength there..
Far more 2x4's than needed but if you can't build it right.. build for overkill..
You achieved overkill :p

Do you see how nothing is supporting the short 2x4's? I added 3/4" plywood and painted with exterior paint(every surface). See Photo below.

This is going on concrete basement floor. I decided to put some pressure treated wood under the legs- Overkill? I read you shouldn't put untreated wood on concrete.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/president890/429399c6-a557-4734-a4f1-3a48b4cdbc42.jpg

yes I do but with a top of plywood and the size of those tanks the majority of the weight is transferred to the outer pieces which are supported vertically..

all is good.. have fun..

Do you see how nothing is supporting the short 2x4's? I added 3/4" plywood and painted with exterior paint(every surface). See Photo below.

This is going on concrete basement floor. I decided to put some pressure treated wood under the legs- Overkill? I read you shouldn't put untreated wood on concrete.

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/president890/429399c6-a557-4734-a4f1-3a48b4cdbc42.jpg

yeah i believe what you said about concrete is true. especially when you put support beams in a basement. the concrete can flood or get wet, and concrete itself I believe leaches water over long periods.

I do see what you mean about the shorter 2x4s, but the big horizontal bits do seem like they are very well supported, I'd say if you're paranoid, maybe just be sure those beams are lagged together really well with some big screws/bolts/etc, i think you'll be fine though. 33g Long isn't really huge enough that i'd be concerned, since the weight will be mostly spread out over the horizontal beams anyway. sure add the plywood on top, it won't hurt, probably will make it look a it more finished than just beams of wood on top.

You will have no issue with the way it's built, regular plywood is fine..good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What you read is correct; you should not have direct contact between the wood and a concrete surface. IMO you should avoid even PT wood. My suggestion would be to use a non-wicking type of material like a plastic or composite material. (composite deck board or trim board, acrylic, ABS or PVC sheet material) In the past I have even used cutting boards cut to size, they actually work out great for this application.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back