Tank reset after 3 years off

lilouisianagal

From 2009-1017, we had a 36 gallon and a 55 gallon set up FOWLR. Nothing fancy but we enjoyed it (aside the demon damselfish...). As we approached our move in 2017, we had a few years notice, so we let the numbers dwindle down ahead of the move. The 35 gallon had a complete crash (suspect it was due to a dead fish that I couldn't find), and at the time of move, we just had LR. We packed up the LR and sand in 5 gallon buckets and it sat and wait while life was crazy.

CURRENT SET UP: We reset up earlier this year. Cycled, tested etc. Water is RODI with instant ocean. We added 10 tiny crabs and 10 tiny snails and a couple of small ocellaris clownfish about 6 weeks to the 35 gallon. Moved about half the clean up crew to the 55 gallon a couple of weeks later (it was set up later). I currently feed Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flakes twice daily to the 35 and once to the 55. I add Eight.Four, trace elements, Reef Fusion 1 & 2. Getting some nice coralline growth in the 35 gallon, and the start in the 55. Temps are 78-80 F. SpG 1.021-1.022. 8.2-8.3 pH, no ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites. Phosphate at just below 0.5 ppm. The 35 gallon has an Aqueon 50 HOB filter changed monthly and a Hydor Koralia Evolution 425 Circulation Pump. The 55 has an Aqueon 75 HOB (monthly change) and a Fluval 50 (not changed often) and two Hydor Koralia Evolution 55/600 Circulation Pumps. Both have top off systems.

I would love to add some coral and an anemone for the clownfish and add some easy to care for fish. I find coral/anemones a little intimidating. Any recommendations for fish/coral/anemones for each tank. Not gonna lie, I like colorful and flashy. And not expensive (I'm still afraid of another tank crash, to be honest!). Our LFS is not abiding by the state mask mandate, so I would rather order online if there are any recommended online options?

Any advice appreciated!

55 gallon picture...hopefully!

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1
Corals like a salinity of 1024-1.026. Cardinal fish would be inexpensive, there are a few types, or Royal Gramma. Long Nose Hawk fish can be kept in pairs.
Anemones need high light & like to pick where they land, not always where you want them to be.

Back