Tank Temperature - in-sump or external skimmer

ribletman

I am building a 30" x 30" x 18" tank right now, and need to decide if I will use an in-sump or external skimmer. In the past, keeping a tank from getting too hot was a big concern. Using external pumps prevented some heat where the lighting generated a large amount. I will be using LED's for lighting with active cooling on the heat sinks. I also keep my house at 70º-75º F all through the summer, and at 62º-70º F during the winter. What I am wondering is if the heat generated from using an in-sump skimmer would be a good thing, requiring less auxilerary heating? I also wonder if there are any advantages to using an external skimmer other than the heat savings?

Go with an internal. If you keep your house that cool in the summer it won't over heat and you will benifit from heat in winter. Most important skimmers can an do overflow. If it is in the sump its no big deal but stinky skim mate on your carpet is horrible. I will never have a external skimmer.

A properly working skimmer with a quality pump won't overflow from time to time....overflowing is caused by a handful of things that can be avoided. That said, recirculating skimmers perform better then their in-sump counterparts. Also, there is nothing against putting most external skimmers in the sump, all you need to do is ensure there isn't any back pressure on the skimmer output.

1. Venturi clogged
2. Chemicals in the water
3. Needle wheel jamed full of cheato
4. Cheap pump

I've had ASM's, EuroReef's, and Vertex's all go nuts for no apparent reason.... especially the Vertex...the common denominator is the cheap pump. After running Super Reef's, Deltecs and Bubble King's, it's apparent that an expensive quality pump makes all the difference.

I prefer a HOB rated for well over the tank volume to conserve heat and space.

:lol: An HOB overated for my 180 wouldn't conserve space, it would be like hanging a minivan on the side of the tank.

They can be great for small tanks, but once you start getting up above 75 Gal's they just can't compete against a similarly rated in-sump or recirculating model.

Back