Tank temperature poll!!

Tank temperature poll!!

• Total voters
Mine will hit a high of about 76.5 and a low at night of about 74.5 I have seen the temp drop to 73.5 on occasion but that's not the norm. My tank is in the basement and the room temp is pretty steady and I've never had a heater in the sump. My vote was 75 as that was about the average for me.

16537383759_db8eb47e1a.jpg
[/url]Screen Shot 2015-03-05 at 9.02.06 pm by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

I try and keep a 0.5 degree max variation in my tank, I have to run a chiller most the year here though.

77 is what i have it set at on the chiller. chiller for the tank upstairs and heater on the tank downstairs. both stay pretty consistent at 77. used to run at 79 and tank seems much happier now a few degrees less. main thing for me was to cut out the fluctuations. i used to have daily swings from 77-81 but the chiller has fixed that, thankfully.

my RKL keeps the tank at 80.1..80.0.. i heard that was bad for heaters..

Which heater you have? Most will have no issue.

The bimetallic elements of old'n days don't care too much.

Some fire a relay. These will prematurely wear out.

Others use a thermistor to gate on a thyristor or transistor these MIGHT be confused by resetting the supply current. But in my opinion should be fine. By confused I mean if the are set to 76 and thermistor says 75.9 it MAY choose on or off.

There is one option missing in the poll: Seasonal temperature control
I let my APEX season table control the tank temperature and therefore it varies between 24.0°C in February to 27.1°C in August.

There is one option missing in the poll: Seasonal temperature control

I let my APEX season table control the tank temperature and therefore it varies between 24.0°C in February to 27.1°C in August.

I didn't know this was even possible.....

Which heater you have? Most will have no issue.

The bimetallic elements of old'n days don't care too much.

Some fire a relay. These will prematurely wear out.

Others use a thermistor to gate on a thyristor or transistor these MIGHT be confused by resetting the supply current. But in my opinion should be fine. By confused I mean if the are set to 76 and thermistor says 75.9 it MAY choose on or off.

I have a finnex 500w

dumb poll IMO. most of us let our tanks fluctuate depending on the time of year. you wouldnt be running your tank at 80 if it was january and you had a 200 gallon tank and you lived in minnesota. by the way, that's a bit high. 80 will never hurt anything, but it gives you less wiggle room if things go wrong.

dumb poll IMO. most of us let our tanks fluctuate depending on the time of year. you wouldnt be running your tank at 80 if it was january and you had a 200 gallon tank and you lived in minnesota. by the way, that's a bit high. 80 will never hurt anything, but it gives you less wiggle room if things go wrong.

Wow look at you coming out like an Internet gangster! Good for you. Very well thought out post and very insightful.

Back