Tank wobble - do I need to relocate the tank?

djryan2000

I have a JBJ 45 and the included stand. I've noticed that if I open the tank stand door somewhat quickly it wobbles a little bit. However, what really threw me into a panic, was watching my dog scratch an itch next to the tank and it wobble a little bit. Not enough that water will spill out, but enough that I noticed.

The tank is in an upstairs bedroom parallel to the joists next to a load bearing wall. House was built in 1993. Asked on here and reddit and received replies that others had kept the same size tank parallel to joists and set it up like that.

I will be purchasing a leveling device to check if the floor has sagged and a tank move is needed ASAP. If the floor is level, is this wobbling a sign I need to move the tank to another location perpendicular to the joists? Or is this to be expected from a stand that's ~3 feet tall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may just need to shim the unsupported corner(s) of the stand. Simple cedar or composite shims work well for this. Take a look and see if there are any gaps. If there are none, and the stand and tank do still wobble, I'd consider moving the tank to a more secure location.

What billdogg said. If all corners are touching, then the wobble could be in the stand itself. In that case you'd want to check all the screws, bolts, etc. in the stand. It's possible you'll need some wood glue to help. Hopefully its just a shim thing.

What billdogg said. If all corners are touching, then the wobble could be in the stand itself. In that case you'd want to check all the screws, bolts, etc. in the stand. It's possible you'll need some wood glue to help. Hopefully its just a shim thing.

Thank you, guys. The stand is a square and at the corners are small circular bumps that the tank rests on (pic provided of them - I'm not sure what they're called)
354b296d9515c41f037e88959c86657d.jpg

I'm thinking I may need to support these? Any advice for how to do so? What should I look for with the screws and bolts?

The tank doesn't wobble when I walk near it or even jump or bounce so I wonder if that's it. I really hope so because moving it will be a major PIA, but much less than having 45 gallons of water spill in my [parents'] house.

The floor is level still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back