tanks with ghost or shadow overflows

ksmmike

Hello,

Does anyone know of any tank manufactures that make tanks that already
are either cut for ghost or shadow or any of the slim overflows, without calling it custom and charging a lot more to change the design? I know some will cut the holes, but the lead times are long and the charges seem to be high for any changes. I would think that someone is designing tanks with the slim overflows by now. Any ideas/

Thanks
Mike

Why not just drill the tank your self? It's easy and will cost you a lot less to buy a drill bit.

I would think that someone is designing tanks with the slim overflows by now.

I wouldn't. The traditional mass-market tank manufacturers are very slow to adopt cutting-edge practices (they're appealing to the mass-market consumer after all). I had a 'reef ready' tank for almost a decade before the mass guys got around to doing them. If you're looking for customizations at mass-market prices then it's a list of nearly one (to borrow an old Monty Python gag). You'll have to drill it yourself.

Drilling is really pretty easy... It is nerve wracking the first time or 2 and gets my heart going..
But it really isn't hard at all.
patience is king..

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

I know you guys love to drill holes into your tanks but I just upgraded my return pump to a 1000gph DC. My three quarter inch siphon tube couldn't keep up. The one and a half inch diameter siphon tube keeps up to full pump output.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cut a 1.5" hole for a bulkhead in a 100G and made a slim overflow. Worked perfect until I upgraded tanks.

You only need 300 ish GPH going through a sump, anymore is insane.

Thanks Guys.
Maybe Ill try to drill it. I would hate to spend over $500 on a tank only to break the glass
drilling it. I know you can buy the appropriate drill bits, but it still scares me.
Mike

Thanks Guys.
Maybe Ill try to drill it. I would hate to spend over $500 on a tank only to break the glass
drilling it. I know you can buy the appropriate drill bits, but it still scares me.
Mike

Just research/learn/watch some youtube videos.. Post your findings/plan here for critique and its easily doable..

Or many times you can pay your local fish store to do it for you..
Or find someone local to help.. Buy me a plane ticket and I'll come drill it for you..;) (I would)

Thanks mcgyvr
I had watched some youtube videos a few days ago, but it still scares me.
Considering the cost of the drill bit and I'd have to buy a battery powered drill, since I only have electric ones right now, I'd prefer to pay someone $100 than cut it myself.
I don't mind whacking away at plumbing pvc, since its cheap and easily replaceable, but glass tanks, not so much. I have an older tank, if I go DIY, I'll try on that one first.

Mike

Or just find somebody at your local reef club to help. I've drilled a few tanks for local refers. Just the standard disclaimer in case the tank breaks (but it never has). FWIW, thicker glass is really quite hard to crack if you go slow and use plenty of water.

Go on craigslist etc and find a piece of glass you can use to make a few test holes in. I bought a ~4' piece of 1/4" glass for $10. I practiced making a few holes in it until I got a good clean cut then drilled my 215 for an external overflow and it came out great. For me the problem was chipping or blowing out the back of the hole just before the bit broke though. Adding a piece of scrap wood clamped to the back supported it and made a beautiful cut.

Also if you only have a corded drill, run an extension cord to the GFCI outlet you're going to use to power your tank. If you're not using a GFCI outlet at the tank, then you should either put on in, or you're not taking any more/less risk than running a corded drill without one.

I'd have to buy a battery powered drill, since I only have electric ones right now,

You really don't need a battery powered drill.. Just one with variable speed.. Having an adjustable torque clutch helps too but not needed either..

I'm assuming you have enough smarts to not get the electrical portion of the drill wet.. ;)

I used a dremel and a diamond tip bit and a water bottle.

Trick is to make a C shape and then tape it off on both sides so when you get to the end it doesn't just snap off and break starting a crack.

My first attempt was perfect, took me an hour on a 100g

Back