Tanks with Marco rocks

I got mine finally, and its still cleaning/seeding (I'll just use the word "curing" for simplicity). Once its done curing, it'll go in the tank. Now if only I could finish the stand...

I built my reef using Tiggsy's method and it has worked out great. I used 150 lbs. of Marco rocks, 7 cans of Great Stuff spray foam, 4 sheets of egg crate and 12 oz's of epoxy resin. I let the whole thing cure before putting water in for a week and then I skimmed and ran carbon for 3 more before I started adding fish and corals. The only thing I wish i had done... was to soak the rocks longer. They are leaching phosphates. I only cooked them for 3 days in a 10:1 rodi / vinegar solution. I wish I had used a 5:1 for 6 or 7 days. I appologize for my possible mis-use of the word... "cook".

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12198150#post12198150 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanBrucks
does anybody know what name gets charged on your credit card?
im not able to find any email record of my order.

Awesome Aquariums!

For what its worth,... I took 120lbs of Marco's Fiji, soaked it in a 55 gal tub of 60% vinegar 40% saltwater water for 3 days.
i then rinsed the rocks with fresh water and scrubbed the crap out of them with a brush.
I then let em cook in a 55gal tub of saltwater for around 3 weeks with 4200gph flow and skimming 24/7, upon removal i decided most of the rock was too big and took a hammer to the largest sections breaking them in half.

inside i found all sorts of dead sponges,dead muscle's leaching, shell and all,and lots of this Grey looking sludge.

just a heads up to check all the rock,clean it,and break it up if its too big because you might find goodies rotting inside.

:D

btw i love the rock,... someone said they thought it might be concrete ? I've got dead colonies of acro on some pieces.

Randy~

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12120281#post12120281 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nine9d
Hey Darth,
I have seen both Marco and Eco-rox both in person and IMO, they are the same exact thing (as far as shelf and spaghetti go). I do not have Fiji in my pictures as you can see. I do think that it is the nicest looking and that is what most people post pics of. But the shelf and spaghetti from each company looks exactly alike so I would imagine the same would be for the Fiji (just a speculation). I may pick up some Fiji in the future, but at this time, most places do have it on back-order.

Here is the shelf from Marco, looks the same as eco-rox to me bro.
med%20tonga%20%2015%20sm%2002.jpg
Gotcha...I was just going by the pics you posted and some of the brown ones don't look too holy. :)

Here's my shipment of 45lbs or Shelf Ecco-Rox. These will be used to form pillars with 45 LBS of Live Rock that has been in my current tank for over a year.

016.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

017.jpg

Here's the rubble I received, it amounted to less than a handful:
018.jpg

And here's a crappy shot of my current tank. All of this rock will be moved to the 90 Gallon, and be used to make pillars with the now soaking (for 3 weeks) shelf rock.

057.jpg

Bringing this back.

About to start curing my rock from BRS. Does anyone else have an opinion on the SW vs. FW issue?

I too am of the mindset that curing, cleaning, cooking, whatever, these rocks in SW is a waste of good salt....am I missing something?

You'll probably get as many opinions on this as there are people that have gone through the process. I have no logical reason to say why to use saltwater or not but would not have done it differently.

After laying it out, drilling it and putting rods through it, I soaked mine in 50/50 RO water and vinegar for a little less than 24 hours. I would have liked to have left it in longer but I was worried about eroding some of the rock. I completely drained the tub and scrubbed and picked as much crud off the rock as possible and then put it in saltwater with a heater and a couple of power heads. After about 48 hours I did a 100% water change and after another 48 hours I did a second 100% water change. After another week or so I put it in my tank which was a new start up and added a couple pieces of live rock from another tank. This worked for me and I would do it the same way again.

I cured mine in salt water so that the beneficial bacteria would be in the rock once it was done curing. Keep in mind I used regular reef level temperature and salinity to "cook" my rock.

If you used freshwater, you would have to wait another couple weeks once the rock was in the tank.... and you would have to add an ammonia source.

If you have the time freshwater seems like the cheaper and easier route though.

Here's a picture of my Ecco-Rocks after 8 months of being in the Reef Tank:

020-3.jpg

Is a skimmer needed during the cure process?

Right now my plan is to get a kiddie pool, use freshwater, with vinegar for about half a day, then just fresh water. Heat the water, and do very frequent water changes.

The real question I have is, would a skimmer help at all if I do lots of water changes?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13855675#post13855675 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luv951
Is a skimmer needed during the cure process?

Right now my plan is to get a kiddie pool, use freshwater, with vinegar for about half a day, then just fresh water. Heat the water, and do very frequent water changes.

The real question I have is, would a skimmer help at all if I do lots of water changes?

Well a skimmer won't work at all if you are curing in just fresh water... I'd do the 1/2 day rinse with vinegar, then transfer over to saltwater with a skimmer for the rest of the curing process.

Hey guys,

I just thought I would give you an update on this vendor seeing as I had some very recent experiance with him.

I ordered my rock back at the end of July, primarily because of the excellent quality of his rock according to everying.. Marc didn't have any on hand but had an order enroute arriving in two weeks he was pre selling.

Well, those two weeks came and went and then it was two more weeks. Then two more weeks. Eventually he gave me an excuse (which I assume to be true), that Fiji had halted all rock shipments because of supposed over harvesting and reaching their export quota early. Sounds fine, except the shipment should have been enroute over a month earlier...

So, a momth goes by (its now October) and he then tells me that the issue was solved and the rock is again enroute, one of the last shipments off the island. For the next month he yammers on about how he can't get status because Fiji is so remote. Being in the Navy I know full well that Fiji is just a phone call away and has the same internet connection anyone does, but whatever.

Then at the end of October, nothing. He won't answer his phone, he won't answer his emails. His site hasn't been updated since October 15th. His auto email update for anytime status (which he rarely modifies) still says October 15th.

So, in other words I have not recieved my merchandise after four months, and I have not heard from Marc in over two. I consider him to be a theif, as he still has my money. I see a few of you know him from your reef club, would you care to poke him and let him know his reputation (buisness wise) is suffering?

ummm....to quote the great Farley:

"Don't I feel like a horse's patoot!"

Yah, I knew that, but sometimes you gotta ask the dumb questions and be given the dumb answers.

I am in no hurry at all, so I am going to try all FW and see what happens - worst case, I can always switch to SW later on down the line in the curing process.

Thanks, mille for not wording your answer to make me look to foolish :smile:

had the same problem with him... had to contact my CC company to resolve the dispute. once they contacted him he sent me an email and told me i should have resolved the dispute with him personally. I had to remind him that I sent him over 10 emails and tried phoning him for several weeks without a response. Other reputable rock dealers have told me that the next fiji shipment will arrive in the spring. try livestockusa.com.

Back