Tap Water in QT?

Jake622

I only use RO/DI water in my FOWLR and have always done the same when I quarantine new fish but I was recently wondering if it was necessary to do this in the QT tank or just use tap water.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

tap water will be just fine, make sure to add some declor such as Prime to kill chlorine.

Last edited:
algae blooms that come from tap water in a tank where you are trying to closely observe a fish can be a real problem. also if your QT is your HT (meaning if a fish gets sick n QT you medicate in the same tank) then water quality issues can easily cause your (now) sick fish extra issues.
Having said all that, I wouldn't be TOO freaked out about doing it, but with the size of a QT, the time/money spent on RO/DI sure doesn't seem to outweigh the benefits of using it.

I think the easiest thing and best thing to do is use the water from your main tank in the QT tank, whether is just be taken it directly out or when doing water changes. This way , when the fish are ready for the DT , they are somewhat acclimated to the quality in the DT.

I think the easiest thing and best thing to do is use the water from your main tank in the QT tank, whether is just be taken it directly out or when doing water changes. This way , when the fish are ready for the DT , they are somewhat acclimated to the quality in the DT.

+1 for what Payton said. I'm still using a temporary QT and I always use DT water for the quarantine tank. That means regular small water changes for the DT and matching water for the QT.

The fill up with tap should be fine.
I use a lesser quality water until the last week are two then i use DT water so I don't have to acclimate the fish

I would definately use the better quality water. Display tank water is the way to go. It accomplishes two things water change on your display and more consistant params on Qt

Back