Tearing down tank (for about 6 hours)

dmorel

Can I borrow your towel
Got a pretty interesting day coming up for the tank on Monday.

As you may or may not know, I struggled for a while with some weird STN issues on some of my SPS. Never really figured out an exact cause. It has for the most part completely subsided, and I attribute a little of that to having increased flow significantly to the areas of my tank dominated by SPS.
I'm still having some slight issues with occasional LPS (acans for the most part but a challice or two as well) not doing super well though overall the tank is healthy and every test I throw at it tells me my parameters are spot on. Having spent months thinking and talking to everyone in the world about it, I still don't really have any idea what the story is. So, doing a bit of a reboot on the tank. I'll dose some chemi clean Saturday morning just to give it a mild clean out before the big day.

Then... We're going to pull all the livestock out of my tank, remove the sand, drill a couple of holes in it, and put a closed loop in.
We will then put in a new SSB with a slightly larger grain of sand. Scrub all the rock while it's out of the tank, and do a 300 gallon water change before new rockscaping and all the corals going back in.

Should be a pretty crazy day.

Skip's the mastermind behind the plumbing per usual and will be performing the hard work of drilling stuff and putting the closed loop together.I'll say that the guys at Reef Culture have all be instrumental in getting it to this point where we are ready to go and formulating a plan. We've been discussing it on and off for a month or two now tinkering with a plan and are finally at the point where it's time to get it done. My personal thanks to the whole staff for their contributions to "the plan" with a special shout out to Nick for being so supportive. Those guys care about my tank as much as I do.

Going to use a reeflo dart gold for the loop which will have four returns each with a flow accelerator. Don't know yet whether this means I'll be able to pull the tunze's or not, hope so, but either way, should be adding a TON of flow.

Wish us luck!

Wow sounds like quite the day. Good luck and say Hi to Skip for me.

Thanks, I will.

I'll be at ASU all day Saturday, let me know if you need a hand or a six pack

Is there ever a day one doesn't need a six pack?

Whoa. Have you lost anything? Keep us updated.

I did loose a few things, but not too much. I did however have to frag down a lot of stuff about 6 months ago. Most things are stable right now, but I wanted the additional flow and to take a shot and "rebooting" the tank anyway just to make sure.

Good luck!!
:beer:

Wow that was a mouth full!

Good luck with the modifications.

Thanks for the well wishes.

I like to write things out, it helps me understand what I'm doing and why, but that was nothing compared to some of the other novels I've written on here :)

Yea for sure good luck, A closed loop on that system will be awsome, Be sure to post pics for it. :bounce1:

Sorry to hear about your issues on such an amazing DT. I'll be in Vegas probably hungover. Otherwise, I would have liked to come watch and lend a hand.

In the middle of a "reboot" myself as well, if only it was just 6 hours like yours:(
However experience always tell you to go with your gut and I commend you for that. With Skip at the helm, and his plumbing skills you know you're in good hands.
Good Luck:thumbsup:

omg sounds like something I would do. Have a good time with it!

I agree, it's right up your alley. :)

Yea for sure good luck, A closed loop on that system will be awsome, Be sure to post pics for it. :bounce1:

I'll probably snap a few pics while we're working, but more likely some afters. Depends on how the day goes I guess. I already have two conference calls scheduled (the idea of a an actual day off is complicated apparently).

Sorry to hear about your issues on such an amazing DT. I'll be in Vegas probably hungover. Otherwise, I would have liked to come watch and lend a hand.

Eh, my issues were frustrating but not devastating and happen to all of us at one time or another. Have fun in Vegas.

In the middle of a "reboot" myself as well, if only it was just 6 hours like yours:(
However experience always tell you to go with your gut and I commend you for that. With Skip at the helm, and his plumbing skills you know you're in good hands.
Good Luck:thumbsup:

The plumbing should be relatively easy (though drilling the holes is kind of a serious pain...) But yes, Skip will knock that out. And really it's not 6 hours. We've spent months talking about it, Skip and Nick have been here a few times already talking strategy, dropping off supplies. Getting 300 gallons of saltwater mixing and ready etc... and you KNOW it will take more than 6 hours, but I'm not telling Skip that yet (hi skip)

Wow! Just, wow!
Are you going to take some pictures? I know you will have your hands full...but really...I know I can't be the only one who wants to see this!

OK, officially off the grid at work for the rest of the day (sent an email to my team and everything).

Moved out some of livestock to the frag tank is the sump room.

Most of the supplies are here, Skip's been here twice so far, one more truck load plus the RC guys (Skip and Carlos) to arrive shortly(ish) and we're getting started.

Back