techniques experienced reefers use...tricks you need to know, reef or FOWRL

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
1. keeping rockwork stable
a. reef putty: make a ball of this smelly stuff and put it under the tippy side like adjusting a restaurant table [try to hide it: it's WHITE until it crusts over]
b. plastic rods [you have to drill the rock
c. [my own] eggcrate laid down on the glass before I added rock: keeps it from crashing down on bare glass.

2. getting corals to stay put
a. IC-Gel or other superglue: glue them to rocks or plugs and stick that into a hole in your rockwork.
b. or glue their rock or plug to a larger rock.
c. [chancier: a learning curve] create a rock sandwich, lifting one rock to gently ooooch a specimen rock into the pile. Good for mounting corals like monti cap that like to be on the edge of a cliff.

3. keeping algae at bay:
a. no substitute for a refugium
b. be sure to mark the date on which you got your lights... on the bulb with a magic marker, or somewhere you'll notice, ...and write down the 'due date' when they should be replaced.

4. preventing 'silent' menaces to your tank.
a. phosphate kills corals mysteriously---if locked in algae, it doesn't show on tests, but when released into the water as algae is eaten, corals start not-thriving. Uptake it with phosban or a refugium.
b. never lose track of a carbon bag: change it out after 5 days. Carbon starts releasing every nastiness it sucked up, after it 'depletes', and can spike nitrates or ammonia.
c. don't lose metal objects, including ballast to hydrometers; don't use brass, copper, bronze, not even stainless steel. If you use it momentarily, like a razor blade on a glass tank, never set it on an edge, never lay it down inside the tank, and account for each razor blade you have used, just as a surgeon counts instruments---don't leave one in the 'patient'!
d. keep a log book...get ahead of the 'trend' instead of waiting until your tank crosses out of the 'safe' zone in any given reading. And are you going to remember whether your tank was at 8.5 or 8.3 two days ago. IF YOU KNEW, you'd know what the trend was now that it's reading 8.4. Should you add? Rising or falling? Additives take up to 24 hours to percolate through the system. Dose now? Yes? No? Corals hate big changes. Fish aren't fond of them either.

I've always like the little tip/trick for target feeding. Using either a 2-liter bottle with bottom cut off (place over coral or specimen to be fed, squirt food into the top opening and let settle around the hungry critter) or personally, I use an airlift tube from an undergravel filter for this, aim it at my specimen and dump in his food, keep the shrimps and other critters from "stealing"......I also have to feed my fish first, or they just sit at the bottom of the tube waiting for the food, like their not fat enough as is.

And for silencing a tank down some (overflow) I've lovin' the new gurgle busters I found a few days ago. These things work pretty darn good and only took a few moments to put together.
http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/HGB/

Thank you---
and that target feeding option is great especially for short-tentacled plate corals [high light, medium flow, delicate bottom-only coral], for cranky corals difficult to establish, and for very small clams...[high light, phyto feeding] They really can feed themselves in a healthy varied tank, but they do appreciate a little target feeding.

Interesting find, the gurgle busters. My overflow rides way high due to a return pump more powerful than my downflow hose is large [disparity in return gph/downflow hose size]...so I don't have the problem...but it is a MAJOR problem for new tank owners whose S.O. is unprepared for the racket of water.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADV. i MOSTLY USE A TURKEY BASTER TO TARGET FEED BUT i WILL TRY THE 2 LITER TRICK SOUNDS GREAT TKANKS AGAIN TO BOTH OF YOU!

And...catching a must-catch fish/invert without wrecking your reef.
a. bait a small wine carafe with top tilted up toward rock, net sitting next to it. Fish goes in after goodie, deftly whip net across neck of carafe, you got him. Also works with inverts that don't climb glass well: leave it overnight, you'll possibly have it trapped by morning.

b. the pepsi bottle: cut neck off one liter bottle, invert into the body of bottle, glue. This is one step better than the wine carafe, and works on cannier inverts. Prop near rock: they have to be able to get into it. The primrose path leads to a gradual slope---and the big drop.

c. the professional fish trap: never had one work for me on the fish I was aiming at.

d. the baited net: works on really aggressive pigs. Feed only from the net. Get everybody hungry over a few days. Have the net just closer, and closer, and closer to the wall, day by day. One fine day, fish goes into net, you rotate that net fast, he panicks, swims into net end, you slam net against the wall: he's trapped. I caught my filamented fairy axe-murderer that way.

e. find out where he sleeps. Some fish sleep in the open [mandarins, etc.] Net him at night.

f. the ultimate: the fast-drain-fast-rewater technique. And, no, this will not hurt your coral: they're used to tides and momentary de-waterings. Dig a small well in the sand at the front of the tank, near a corner. Get a potent pump and a 32 g Rubbermaid tub...maybe 2-3-4 tubs, depending on tank size. Pump the water out fast. Fish will naturally seek lowest spot in tank, just as they do when the tide goes out. In this case---your low spot. When fish are all gathered there, wallowing in shallow water, net your culprit, and dump him in a tub/tank/bag/qt. Reversing position of your pump/hose, rapidly rewater your tank from the barrels. This method can even catch damselfish and dottybacks.

Oh, and did somebody mention "turkey baster"? Real useful tool. You can dust off your rocks, siphon up a stray bit of algae, feed with it---no end to the uses.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11384272#post11384272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Oh, and did somebody mention "turkey baster"? Real useful tool. You can dust off your rocks, siphon up a stray bit of algae, feed with it---no end to the uses.

I bought my first turkey baster after my bangaii's had babies. It was the easiest 20 fish I ever caught, lol. Why didn't I get one earlier?

Back