Teen may lose hand to flesh eating fish tank bacteria.

Wow! That's some scary stuff and the main reason I never stick my hands in the tank if I have a cut or any broken skin.

so did she cut it inside the tank or not? after reading it i still dont know.

The caption under her pic says "cut her hand on her family's fish tank five years ago and has been battling an infection from a rare fish tank bacteria ever since. "

Sounds to me like it broke?

"""The ordeal began when Hannele was only 8-years-old, playing in the fish tank that resides in the family's living room. """

what the hell was she doing inside the tank?

There are some truly scary bacteria growing in our tanks. Vibrio is also quite common to marine environments and is often found in our tanks. Good reason to wash the hands after they've been in the tank.

I recall a story about a diabetic man that swam in the ocean and had to have his leg amputated. Scary stuff.

it also said she hid the cut from her parents.... i think if she wasnt playing in the tank and the cleaned the cut it right away all this could have been avoided to a point. but good luck to that girl

I was breaking down a tank about a month ago, and touched something that gave me contact dermatitis that covered left index finger very rapidly (blistered in under 15 minutes). I still have no idea what I touched, but it freaked me out at the time.

Now this stuff... ugh.

Poor girl. I wish her the best. Man that has to be a horrible thing for the parents too.

Such a sad story. Hope it works out and they save her hand.

Kind of scary to think you can get something from your tank.

There have seen several cases pop up like this. Someone gets an infection from the ocean or an aquarium. In all the cases I've heard of, the victim didn't take care of the wound like they should, like the little girl in this case, or the person had other health issues that made fighting infection more difficult.

Back