TEK T5 fixture - Acrylic cover or not?

WinnipegDragon

Canuckian
My 120g tank will be set up with the 8x54w TEK fixture, it will be open top with eggcrate, and the fixture will be mounted with the 'tank bracket'.

Should I worry about the acrylic shield for the light fixture, or does the additional heat/PAR loss/salt build up outweigh the risk of leaving the endcaps exposed?

Any advice is appreciated!

edit: Forgot to mention that there is an endcap only cover and a full fixture cover available...

Full fixture cover!

You'll get stains on the reflectors if you don't. And don't worry about performance it reduces the par by like 1% (and that was a dirty shield).

PW

Agreed, I got the full cover. The Tek fixtures do not use waterproof endcaps. Don't worry about the PAR loss, it's not significant.

This is a great fixture, by the way, but prepare to supplement with a cooling fan (does get quite hot).

Dan

It has been proven that the use of a shield will build up heat. This will decrease the par values and life of the bulbs. The bulbs as much as 50%. if you keep the light 6in above the water, you have no real issues. Your reflectors need a cleaning, a few times a year. I would get an end cap cover, if that issure bothers you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11634534#post11634534 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scotmc
It has been proven that the use of a shield will build up heat. This will decrease the par values and life of the bulbs. The bulbs as much as 50%. if you keep the light 6in above the water, you have no real issues. Your reflectors need a cleaning, a few times a year. I would get an end cap cover, if that issure bothers you.

I agree,I've got mine 4-5" above and clean every other day.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11634897#post11634897 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
You have to clean your reflectors every other day?!

Yes I dampen a cloth with water and vinegar and clean the bulbs and the sides of the reflectors while they are out obviousely.Every two months I take the bulbs out and clean the whole fixture.You will have stains but it's better than over heating your bulbs and ballast therefore less par...unless you can rig up some fans blowing across at both ends.

just my 0,2 cents

Or you know any kindof fan on the blowing across the top of the unit gives you all your par back and keeps the reflectors free, and allows you to keep the light about 2" off the water :)

PW

I bought the acrylic lens for my 36" 6-39 watt hood. To compensate for possible warping, I drilled 1/4" hole near the end caps for a total of 12 holes (1 for either side of the lamp's end cap). I have no melting and bending of any type and I believe this helps for air exchange and reduces the heat. Once a week, I clean the cover.

Back