Tell me about your controller

iwishtofish

I need a controller for my temperature, and I'd like to start with something like the RKL. My budget is kind of low (maybe $125-$150 right now).

What are my options for brands/models, etc? Are any of the controllers upgradeable? What else might I want to run on my controller?

I have mine with the temp/ph probes, and have saved me mulitple times in one year. Twice by stopping my ATO from over dosing kalk because ATO got stuck in the on position. The controller was programed to turn off that outlet is ph > 8.45 and so it did.

The other time over a heater failure at midnight, I started getting email alerts that temp was < 76 degrees. Wouldnt have check it till god knows when the next day.

I have the Apex controller

very happy with my RKL. Its very well priced for the basic mosel, but adding power strips and probes gets pricy so if your planning to do a lot with the controller its better to just bight the bullet and get a model with more capability over upgrading

I have an apex light. It is over your budget but maybe you can find a used one.

I initially wanted a controller for just temp control - heater and fans. I considered a Ranco which is in your price range. I decided I also wanted it to control two part dosing as well so I went with the Apex. I then added my lights and power heads for a wavemaker.

One of the things I like the most is the ability to get email alerts if something is wrong and the ability to shut down pumps or lights. I recently added a Waterbug to detect wet carpeting and float switches to detect high and low water levels to shut down my return pump. It already has saved my butt a few times.

I have mine with the temp/ph probes, and have saved me mulitple times in one year. Twice by stopping my ATO from over dosing kalk because ATO got stuck in the on position. The controller was programed to turn off that outlet is ph > 8.45 and so it did.

The other time over a heater failure at midnight, I started getting email alerts that temp was < 76 degrees. Wouldnt have check it till god knows when the next day.

I have the Apex controller

Definitely good justification for more than just a temp controller!! Thanks for that example, jimrawr!

very happy with my RKL. Its very well priced for the basic mosel, but adding power strips and probes gets pricy so if your planning to do a lot with the controller its better to just bight the bullet and get a model with more capability over upgrading

You are right, betamed - I may have to up my budget for something like the RKL L3!

I have an apex light. It is over your budget but maybe you can find a used one.

I initially wanted a controller for just temp control - heater and fans. I considered a Ranco which is in your price range. I decided I also wanted it to control two part dosing as well so I went with the Apex. I then added my lights and power heads for a wavemaker.

One of the things I like the most is the ability to get email alerts if something is wrong and the ability to shut down pumps or lights. I recently added a Waterbug to detect wet carpeting and float switches to detect high and low water levels to shut down my return pump. It already has saved my butt a few times.

Thanks for all that info, preef. Just what I'm looking for as I research. :)

Back