Tell Me Your Thoughts - Start Up Prodibio

cleverbs

Let me start off with saying I do NOT want to use this product to insta cycle my aquarium. That is not the goal. I am starting my tank with just base rock that was live and I did an acid wash and have had it curing for the past 3 weeks.

I wanted to get this product to add Biodiversity to my tank. I have read a lot of good things about it but I would rather not do the ol Raw shrimp method that I have used in the past. I just dont think it gives the proper bacteria needed for a quality reef tank.

Yes I could get live rock however the live rock in or LFS is just terrible looking and normally full of aiptasia. So while using some live rock to cycle the tank is the best its not something I am willing to do givin the quality of the live rock. All the rock is also just sold to them from peoples tanks and I dont trust what others have done in their tanks.

What do you think of the Prodibio line? Do you think it will give me what I am looking for?

Sure.. its fine to use and should provide bacteria..

Personally I've got some microbacter7 coming in today and am going to see if that helps any

I have been using Prodibio Digest and Optim for the last three years on my systems with good results. I use them every 15 days as directed for nutrient control, and notice my skimmer will produce more the days following use.

I have used it as part establishing the cycle but have always used another(BioSpira, Dr. Tims) bacterial additive at the same time. My thought being the more diversity the better I guess.

I have been using Prodibio Digest and Optim for the last three years on my systems with good results. I use them every 15 days as directed for nutrient control, and notice my skimmer will produce more the days following use.

I have used it as part establishing the cycle but have always used another(BioSpira, Dr. Tims) bacterial additive at the same time. My thought being the more diversity the better I guess.

I agree that the more Diversity the better thats the whole reason I am looking into this.

I noticed a lot of people continue to use it. I was more planning on going through this set and letting it be after that. I have thought about some of the other ones. I guess I dont see the point of continuing to add it after the tank is established. Please tell me why you have used it for 3 years. I am sure I am just missing something

When I started up my new 375 gallon sump I used three different kinds of bacterial starters. Including prodibio. The tank cycled completely in a day with no ammonia or nitrite. Although after I also added about 200 pounds of liverock and lots of chetomorpha. So yes, multiple forms of bacterial cultures is a good thing. I did what you are proposing and I believe my tank is better for it.

Last edited:
I have seen some clubs who will share a cup of sand with one another for diversity of life. So this is nothing new. Also those fortunate enough to live by the ocean will do the same by scooping some sand from the ocean once in a while.

I agree that the more Diversity the better thats the whole reason I am looking into this.

I noticed a lot of people continue to use it. I was more planning on going through this set and letting it be after that. I have thought about some of the other ones. I guess I dont see the point of continuing to add it after the tank is established. Please tell me why you have used it for 3 years. I am sure I am just missing something

I think of it like carbon dosing (Optim) with a boaster shot of bacteria (Digest).

Back