Temp questions and issues..

SSpiro

The target temp for coral and fish is 72-78'ish, correct?

I'm having issues getting my temp down. In my 55G, I'm not even running a heater and the tank stays at 80 at night (no light) and 82 during the day (power compacts, about 2 inches off the top of the tank)..

Are these temps too high? I want to add some coral this week and I'm concerned about the temps. Any tips for reducing this temp WITHOUT a chiller?

it would depend on who you talk to. I keep my tank at 78-82, and have no ill effects. In the summer to keep my tank cooler, ill throw in a frozen bottle of water, but this is aonly a temp solution for really hot days.

I keep my nano at 78. My other tank stays 77-80. 82 may be a bit high, but not dangerous IMO. If you have a sump, you could put a fan blowing across it. That should take 2-4 deg off.

i cant see why its so high. clean the tip on the thermometer. im in s fl and both of my tanks drop to 76ish without a heater. any vents you can direct for help? is this an outside bearing wall (block)?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12216645#post12216645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeesGoneWild
it would depend on who you talk to. I keep my tank at 78-82, and have no ill effects. In the summer to keep my tank cooler, ill throw in a frozen bottle of water, but this is aonly a temp solution for really hot days.

Do you have coral? That is my main concern..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12216649#post12216649 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by protege
I keep my nano at 78. My other tank stays 77-80. 82 may be a bit high, but not dangerous IMO. If you have a sump, you could put a fan blowing across it. That should take 2-4 deg off.

I have a small fan I can put in there. Will do that tonight. Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12216659#post12216659 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brians4671
i cant see why its so high. clean the tip on the thermometer. im in s fl and both of my tanks drop to 76ish without a heater. any vents you can direct for help? is this an outside bearing wall (block)?

Nope, interior wall, and there is a vent that blows in the general direction. I keep a cover over the tank; perhaps I should try removing?

76-86 with an average around 82 is where you want to be. There's no real benefit to keeping things lower than that or even on the lower end of that range. Lower than 76 can be almost as dangerous as higher than 86.

I would remove the cover. Not only does that trap heat, but it limits gas exchange at the surface of the water, and you'll tend to get a buildup of CO2, lowering your PH. I agree that 82 isn't anything to be particularly concerned about. I like to keep my tank 80 degrees, +/- 1 degree, but I have a chiller. It also sounds like your temperature stays pretty stable, so corals will be just fine.

I will try that when I get home (removing cover), and we'll see what happens.

I didn't even think of the gas exchange..

The effects of removing the cover noted are correct.
However, without a cover you may get a lot of salt on your light and may have to raise it a bit. Also , if running your tank without a cover, you'll have to be selective in the fish you select ,since many will jump out of your tank.
Since you have a sump ,you might wan't to try running a small fan over the water in there to increase gas exchange and evaporative cooling before giving up your cover. If with that you ecnounter low ph ,indicative of CO2 buildup or heat issues, you can raise the light .remove the top and make a screen type cover to prevnt jumpers.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12217552#post12217552 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
The effects of removing the cover noted are correct.
However, without a cover you may get a lot of salt on your light and may have to raise it a bit. Also , if running your tank without a cover, you'll have to be selective in the fish you select ,since many will jump out of your tank.
Since you have a sump ,you might wan't to try running a small fan over the water in there to increase gas exchange and evaporative cooling before giving up your cover. If with that you ecnounter low ph ,indicative of CO2 buildup or heat issues, you can raise the light .remove the top and make a screen type cover to prevnt jumpers.

Great advice.. Thanks!

All true on the benefits of a cover. There are alternatives that allow both light and air to pass through, while keeping jumpers in the tank. Egg crate (usually called light diffuser at hardware stores) is a good alternative, except for very small fish that can (and will) fit through the holes. I've never had much of a problem with salt spray (I have to clean the acrylic in front of my lights about once every 2-3 weeks). That's usually caused by microbubbles or possibly fish splashing. Most of my salt spray is caused by me splashing water around, and not much is going to prevent that.

An alternative cover that allows air to pass trough it is an option. The holes in eggrate may be a bit too large. I once saw a Scott's fairy wrasse who was startled as I walked by get his head trough the eggcrate cover and gill net himself, hanging in the air by his gills which were stuck in the eggcrate. Releasing him was a bit tricky but he made ity. Fortunately I was there to see it.

Back