Temperate Water Fish?

saltyguy51

Do you guys know of a fish or 2 that live in 68 degree water with my Cal. Rd. Rays? I had posted a while back but don't remember what the answers were and I don't see hardly any of the people that used to be on here posting anymore.:cool:

I just thought of this, once i saw a butterfly fish that was from cool water, does that ring any bells?

Last edited:
It's not easy to find temperate fish for sale, check LA Divers Den, they occasionally have some nice cool-water specimens. I'd actually consider 68 more like subtropical and temperate more like 50-60 degrees F.

Either way sub tropical or temperate i quess not to easy to find then. Someone on here or another forum had gotten a really nice looking butterfly fish for cooler water but of course i can't remember.

I don't remember either - maybe a deep water butterfly... temps are usually cooler.

You could research the fish that are found in the same habitat as the ray and find out if they are ever for sale, or if you or someone you know could catch and keep for your tank (on a fishing license). Be careful checking local laws, they vary a lot across the US.

You'll have to check this, but I think many fish found in Florida, would be subtropical, especially if they are found in deeper water. Some subtropical fish are pretty widely adapted.

Will you keep a pretty constant 68 degrees?

That is my goal as they might breed. I had thought about a calico bass but no one was interested in catching me one and there is a large damsel out there but they are collected in mexico.

the damsel is the garibaldi, I've seen them for sale occasionally.

There are quite a few species of fish found off the coast of NC that would be great. Granted it is almost impossible to buy them, but I catch them all the time.

Sand Perch
Smaller Coneys
Hogs
Smaller Snappers
etc.

Sorry for the lack of info (scientific names). :(

~Michael

There are quite a few species of fish found off the coast of NC that would be great. Granted it is almost impossible to buy them, but I catch them all the time.

Sand Perch
Smaller Coneys
Hogs
Smaller Snappers
etc.

Sorry for the lack of info (scientific names). :(

~Michael

Ok send me a few. lol

IME there are many fish found in cooler waters that seem to adapt to hotter home aquariums. Check the natural range of fish you may be interested in.

I have collected many fish and inverts off the North Carolina coast, and most have adapted well to my 75-79 degree tanks. These should also do fine at 68 (as will many Florida fish). Sorry, can't send you any. :)

I don't know much about rays -- do you need something that won't be prey sized for them?

Nothing about my current seahorse set up is correct, as the seahorse was given to me unexpectedly and I tanked him where I could -- that tank happened to be my "main" tank, and I simply dropped the temp. in it. The fish in that tank had to roll with the temp. "punches." So I have "tropical" fish in decidely sub-tropical temperatures -- anywhere from 64 (yes, 64 degrees) to 75 degrees. There isn't much daily temperture difference, rather it is seasonal since our home does not have air conditioning. I even have corals and they survive and grow.

I usually don't consider fish that get more than 4" in length, but consider checking out someone like Diver Tom at Tom's Caribbean, located in the northern FL Keys. He has a long list of fish that he will collect, and I think most of them would be fine at 68 degrees.

there are many Florida collectors that may be able to get you what you want. I don't really consider 68 to be temperate.

try www.divertom.com, www.ccritters.com, www.reeftopia.com

call or e-mail and ask them for what you want.

also, if you check liveaquaria Diver's Den today, there is a caribbean cowfish and colder water japanes puffers (I know, not likely with rays), check for others...

Back