temperature accuracy

negia22

I have 28 nano cube in cycle right now.

Now my problem is which one is correct on the temperature reading. I have 2 thermometer, coraline which says 81.7F placed at the sump then the other one says 81F inside the DT.

While I was looking at my aqueon heater, even with the temperature readings on both thermometers are high, it turned on where I placed it on 80F changing both readings to 81.2F and 82.2F respectively.

Will I be worried now? got so confused...:spin1:

i have a reef keeper temp probe and a apex probe sitting side by side in sump they are both about 1F off from eachother. so i take the average of both. Also heaters are not 100% precise in temp settings. meaning if u set then say at 78 it wont shut of at 78 might take it upto 79 and then shut off so i wouldnt go by heaters performance.

You can also check the accuracy of ur temp probes/thermometer by getting a glass filling it with 50% water and 50% ice. mix it and let it sit for 3-5 min. mix it again then take temp.
it should say (ideally) 32F.

Your best bet by far is to purchase a good lab grade thermometer and use it to calibrate all your other devices. You regularly see digital thermometers off by 2 degrees or more.

You can't be worried about a 0.7 degree discrepancy. You really shouldn't be worried about a 2 degree discrepancy.

If you let that little tiny bit of temperature bother you that much, other parameters on your tank are going to drive you absolutely crazy. Most of these things have a range of acceptable. If one thermometer reads 81 and the other reads 82, figure the temp is in the low 80's and that's OK.

i have a reef keeper temp probe and a apex probe sitting side by side in sump they are both about 1F off from eachother. so i take the average of both. Also heaters are not 100% precise in temp settings. meaning if u set then say at 78 it wont shut of at 78 might take it upto 79 and then shut off so i wouldnt go by heaters performance.

thank you,

You can also check the accuracy of ur temp probes/thermometer by getting a glass filling it with 50% water and 50% ice. mix it and let it sit for 3-5 min. mix it again then take temp.
it should say (ideally) 32F.

I will do this right away. thanks

Your best bet by far is to purchase a good lab grade thermometer and use it to calibrate all your other devices. You regularly see digital thermometers off by 2 degrees or more.

will think about buying one, thanks

You can't be worried about a 0.7 degree discrepancy. You really shouldn't be worried about a 2 degree discrepancy.

If you let that little tiny bit of temperature bother you that much, other parameters on your tank are going to drive you absolutely crazy. Most of these things have a range of acceptable. If one thermometer reads 81 and the other reads 82, figure the temp is in the low 80's and that's OK.

I just want to make sure I am in the right track, first saltwater tank for me. Will try to stay cool as possible. :)

That's what I do and here is the thermometer I use. Once calibrated I stick it in tank and see what the difference is between the two.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00009WE45/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1347406069&sr=8-1

thank you...

Back