Test Kits

I use Red Sea Marine LabII. It works really well but it doesnt have Cal, Mag, or Phos. I have other tests for them but cnat think of the brands.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12893842#post12893842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
I use Elos and am pleased with them.

I switched from Salifert to Elos a few months ago. Elos test kits are fairly pricey, but I think they work very well.

I use a Hach test kit for Phosphates.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12894256#post12894256 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MalHavoc
I switched from Salifert to Elos a few months ago. Elos test kits are fairly pricey, but I think they work very well.

same here.
made the switch from salifert to elos. so far so good :)

J.

API for pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and Phosphates.
Salifert for Magnesium.
Elos for Calcium.

I'd use API for everything if I could, but I have too hard a time reading the endpoint in their Calcium test kit, and I don't think they have a Magnesium test kit.

API if you're on a tight budget, otherwise Elos and LaMotte are good choices. Do a search on Salifert and you'll see that there have been inconsistent test results by a lot of hobbyist.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12901192#post12901192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maikoa02
Do a search on Salifert and you'll see that there have been inconsistent test results by a lot of hobbyist.

Yeap, true. As much as I was an advocate of Salifert, this is the reason why I switched to Elos. Specifically, I had many issues with the alkalinity test kit.

What phosphate test kit do you all find best? I use mainly Saliftert test kits, except Elos for Alk, and Red Sea for Phosphates. Red Sea's phophate test kit's first reading though is .1 I'd like something that can detect lower amounts than .1 . Thinking of Elos, but is anything other than the Merck or a Hanna more accurate?

Thanks, Pam

Last edited:
Back