Test results

SassyAngel111

Ok My tank has been up and running since Sunday, except I keep having problems with the sump on the return end (different subject). just need to make sure that my reading looks good

A reminder of my tank it is about a 72gl pentagon with about 70lbs of rock mixed live and dry, 20lbs of sand and then the sump. water is RO/DI and salt is Instant Ocean

I had used Fritz-Zyme Turbo State Saltwater 900 ( I know I will get alot of head shaking on this) to jump start the cycle. the test kit I am using is the Red Sea Except on the PO3 and this is the API test.

Sunday my readings was:
NH3 = 0.4
NO3 = 5
NO2 = 0.1
PH = 8.2
PO3 = .25

Mon. readings was:
NO2 = .02
NO3 = 10
NH3 = 0.8

tues did not take readings

Today reading are:
NO3 = 10
NO2 = 0
NH3 = 0
KH = 7 drops ALK 2.5
PH = 8.0 to 8.2
PH3 = 0

I plan on giving the tank another week of testing to make sure that everything is where it should be. Just hope that the NO3 drops down to 0.

The nitrate won't go to zero on it's own. Eventually your tank can process nitrate (with or without carbon dosing), but you shouldn't expect that to happen with a new tank.

What was your ammonia source?

Those numbers all seem to be reasonable. I agree with letting the tank sit for a week. Nitrate isn't toxic at that level, so it can be ignored. I might start a few 10-15% water changes to help remove any secondary metabolites or other debris from the decay.

The nitrate won't go to zero on it's own. Eventually your tank can process nitrate (with or without carbon dosing), but you shouldn't expect that to happen with a new tank.

What was your ammonia source?

the lfs that I bought the Fritz-Zyme turbo start, he gave me ammonia chloride to start kick the ammonia

Back