The bad experience told for the benefit of the masses

batguano

...or, how not to destroy a new tank Never, ever drill a tempered glass bottom! I just found this out the hard way. Got a used 125 and decided to save some money and drill it myself for an overflow. I was about two minutes into it, using a carbide burred hole saw, when "SNAP!" The whole bottom spiderwebbed on me. Oh well, looks like I'll be ordering a new 125, reef ready.

Always look on the glass. Tempered glass has a stamp on it somewhere... they do it when they temper it. Don't think "oh... it's tempered... I'll be extra careful." Tempered glass is heated under presure so that there is internal tension left after the tempering process. If you release than internal tension, it will break. Period. You can't "carefully" drill tempered glass.

I dont think I could ever work up the nerve to drill anything bigger than a 29 or 40g. Even if it was free.

Ahh. Don't worry... You are not the first. I did it once before too:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8079170#post8079170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shagsbeard
Always look on the glass. Tempered glass has a stamp on it somewhere... they do it when they temper it. Don't think "oh... it's tempered... I'll be extra careful." Tempered glass is heated under presure so that there is internal tension left after the tempering process. If you release than internal tension, it will break. Period. You can't "carefully" drill tempered glass.

Where were you three days ago? :lol: Problem solved. Found a glass place to make me a new bottom with tempered glass and I am going to install overflows on the top of the back glass which is 1/2 inch (not tempered). Lesson learned, problem solved.

Hey Shagsbeard, I surfed the Rock back in 1990. Beautiful spot, Morro Bay, stayed there a couple of days. If I recall correctly, it had a nice smooth right hand break for those couple days I was there.

Ouch, well that will be a little cheaper. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Hey new mod! Yeah, it was an expensive lesson. What with that and nailing my finger to the tank stand, all in all, it's been a blast! Thanks for caring. See you in the lounge Deb!

Yeah, fish...soooo relaxing...:D Hey, we better be careful or some mod might move this thread into the lounge!

I've seen tempered glass drilled on more than one occasion. It shouldnt be done (it will never hold) We had a BMW X5 at work that the door would not open. There is only 1 key hole on a X5 and that's the one that was broke. We had a choice of 1 breaking the glass or 2 cutting a hole in the door to get it open to repair it. Obviously breaking the glass was the only choice. We tried a hammer / pick no go it just bounced off. Then we had our glass guys come and they couldnt break it either. then they drilled a hole in it then hit it with a hammer and finally it broke. I wish BMW made fish tanks that was the toughest piece of glass I've ever seen.

Back