the best skimmer

The best? The beast? Bubblekings with the Red Dragon pumps. Second would be those ridiculously large Deltecs and/or H&S. Then some Euro-Reefs.

A great but budget minded skimmer in that size range are the new octopus MSX extremes.

Mind if I ask why you're looking, or what you're looking for?

The Dart Gold averages 132 watts.
Mine will be here tomorrow.

I can't give any testimony about the Orca yet (but I will be able to in the near future).

The one that works for u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there's lots of great skimmers out there but u have to afford them and know how to use them in order for them to be the best.
'There's pros and cons for all of them.

I love my euro-reef, my system is only ~260 Gal and it can sometimes be kinda annoying to get adjusted just right after I clean the collection cup but other then that the stuff it pulls out is amazing.

Ya'll want a good laugh. I set my Orca up this evening. For the likes of me I couldn't get it working right. I replumbed the damn thing twice. I finally got in touch with someone that I know has been running one of these and the first thing he asked me was, "How are you feeding it?".

DUH - there's the problem

These darn things don't come with instructions per say.

Every other recirculating skimmer I had seen had a feed near the top. This feed is right at the inlet to the Dart so I just figured that it would feed AND recirculate. And believe it or not - it does to a point. That's what really had me thinking I was close but I knew something was amiss.

At any rate. I tossed a mag 5 in the sump to feed it and temporarily plumbed it a 3rd time and BAM - WE GOT MILK!

I'm going to have to really replumb the whole thing better than I did tonight but I just wanted to see the thing running.

It's SWEET and QUIET - OMG it's QUIET.

How much is your budget?
I have used many of them, from Downdrafts to pinwheels. There's many awesome skimmers out there.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14206357#post14206357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfragger101
Sounds like you should take a closer look at the Orca then. That's right in there.

After doing some more research this morning, I'm totally sold on the Orcas for a 400+ tank/system. Those things are beasts... I'm jealous Chuck... :p It might skim the scales off my fish in my 120 though... My ER 8-2 keeps up more than fine on my current setup though, so no reason to upgrade :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14206479#post14206479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak
After doing some more research this morning, I'm totally sold on the Orcas for a 400+ tank/system. Those things are beasts... I'm jealous Chuck... :p It might skim the scales off my fish in my 120 though... My ER 8-2 keeps up more than fine on my current setup though, so no reason to upgrade :(

Mine is only a 150 gal although with sumps, frag tank, yadi yadi I figure I've got 200 gal NET.

I just want to make sure that I can stock it with just about anything without thinking twice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14206479#post14206479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWreak

Sell me your ER Eric, I could use it on my 120, and you can upgrade, win win:D

Back