The best way to level a stand - Advice and Pics!!!

AquaWave523

Ok, for illustration purpose the image below shows a tank un-even due to the floor. Can anyone recommend what we can do to level the stand? Can we stuff paint sticks, cardboard box and other material under the spacing due to the shims?

Some shims appear to be too large causing a big gap in between the shim and opposite side of the tank.

I've learned a few things over the weeks of being here.

1.) Do not use any kind of foam including Styrofoam for it will flatten over time.
2.) Shims are the best way to go...can anyone recommend some shims? I found this and it says it supports over 8000 lbs!

Heavy Duty Shims

In the image the shims are red.

So how did everyone level their tank? All experts and novice inputs are welcome!

Thanks!
221909stand.GIF

I have used the large 5 gallon paint stirrers for shims. The shims in the link look like they would work fine. You are planning on leveling the stand and not the aquarium on the stand right? I would fill in as much of the gaps under the stand as possible with shims so you won't have long unsupported voids.

I would place the shim under the stand and floor which would level the water in the tank. Does that make sense? See the picture above for how I plan on doing that. Between the tank and stand, there's nothing there.

Ok. The pic had me a little confused because it looked like the aquarium was shimmed on the stand. I understand what you're doing. That will work. You could use the shims in the link or you might could talk one of the local building suppliers (HD or Lowes) out of some free paint stirrers. They will work also.

Edit: I understand the pic now. For some reason I thought the brown was the stand. Sorry. I get it. :D

shim it from the bottom of the stand and you will be fine, like where the stand sits on the floor, you know the bottom of the stand

ok, i guess the concern at that point is the pressure on the stand if there's a gap undeer it from the shims huh?

Last edited:
Parts of my stands have pieces of 2x4 under them helping keep them level. My house is old. Like, old old. The place is so off in some areas a marble would wander for hours.

Shims have been my savant. Some of my tanks are on carpet (oh boy was that fun to level) so I put a few lag bolts in the bottom, and cranked it down every time to check if it was level.

Shim away. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15476245#post15476245 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mercer
Parts of my stands have pieces of 2x4 under them helping keep them level. My house is old. Like, old old. The place is so off in some areas a marble would wander for hours.

Shims have been my savant. Some of my tanks are on carpet (oh boy was that fun to level) so I put a few lag bolts in the bottom, and cranked it down every time to check if it was level.

Shim away. :)

Can you show pics? I imagine its just plugging the shim under....with lots of gaps....

You bet. Just one moment while I snap & resize a few for you. Nothing fancy I assure you.

so what happens if one side is higher than the other and the gap beneath the stand? wouldnt that cause additional stress for the stand? There's a small thin piece of wood i noticed...

That little piece of wood is actually two shims placed in reverse. Like, /\ \/ . You'll get them at home depot, lowes, or whatever hardware store you frequent. It's placed directly under the end where the weight is carried. No doubt there is some stress on the wood but it's not enough to cause any problems. That stand is holding up well over 100 gallons of water without any ill effects. I've seen questionable stands made of much less. These are awesome. I love 2x4. I usually spend a night in the dog house after building one in the kitchen, but it's worth it.

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm 100% understanding this...

So I'll go ahead and buy the heavy duty shims as mentioned above and then place it at the corners of the stand....then for the gap beneath the stand and floor, I'll put more shims under but cut them off to fill the gap? I guess that's how I would do it or like people said put paint stir sticks beneath....more pictures please!! anyone with their stands leveled?

My floor in my basement is way off, slopes to the right (I think its a drainage thing). Anyways these are the shims I am using, composite shims from HD in combinated with some scrap ply.

350x256-images-stories-220build-shim1.jpg

350x217-images-stories-220build-shim2.jpg

Here is how I shimed my 6 footer on carpet:
640x519-images-stories-220build-shim3.jpg

Then I decided to remove the carpet
450x342-images-stories-220build-080309-carpet2.jpg

Thanks everyone for contributing! This is great! I just got back from Home Depot and they were selling wooden shims, my concern is that it won't hold well as they appear to be thin and not so strong wood. Will the weight be too much? Then they also sold small plastic shims. Not sure if that's good either, I was thinking strong oak or metal shims but none are to be found. Might have to order the eavy duty shims online.

Hey, I noticed you have gaps between your shims, is that bad?

Use the plastic composite one, you can bang the heck out of them with a tank full of water and they wont break like the wood ones.

On the gaps, I am just wanting to support the corners very well and then under the main rails. On my 4 foot tank I use shims on the 4 corners and in the middle under the rails.

From what I understand, all the weight is distributed to the four corners of the tank.

Back