The Case of the Vanishing Goby

California Crow

Last weekend I added a dracula goby and swissguard basslet to the tank. Both, of course, immediately hid in the rockwork. The basslet was out and feeding within hours. The goby, however, seems to have disappeared, as I've not seen him since.

Is the little bugger toast, or just super shy? I've moved a bit of rockwork around trying to spot him, but no luck. He's not carpet surfed either... unless the cat made off with the evidence before I spotted it. :)

CC

I've had similar experiences with my wheelers goby. It took about two or three weeks till I found him. He made his home behind some rock work. How big is it? I would give it some time and it might make an appearance.

He's pretty big... maybe a bit over 2". I'm still hoping he makes an appearance. The paired pistol shrimp I got with him has also not been seen since day one, but I think I heard him this morning.

CC

He's alive! Early this morning when I checked out the tank, I saw a definite small tunnel opening at the bottom edge of one of my base rocks. I shined a flashlight down it, and caught a glimpse of something quickly disappearing.

Here's hoping he gets a little bolder. I'd at least like to see him from time to time.

CC

It took three weeks from the day I put them in the tank, but to my pleasant surprise both the goby and the pistol shrimp popped out of their burrow yesterday to join the daily feeding frenzy. That's the first time I'd had the opportunity to observe either completely out in the open in a highly lit tank. Nice looking fish!

CC

Back