The End of My Bed Reef Tank

That's going to be interesting, a gutted biocube 29 with overflow. Can't wait to see the results.

Me either! I'm trying to take this slow and not blow my savings, but its getting tough. I'm glad I am making a trip Friday morning to grab a few things, otherwise I'd go insane.

Gutted indeed. I want a coast to coast overflow on the back, just haven't decided the best way to make it yet, or if its even a good idea.

Since there's a 60min edit limit (what genius thought of that!)

Im brainstorming a stand idea here. this is my inspiration.
1021-amy-martinson-nature-landscape-photography-interior-design-decoration-pictures-bora-bora-dock-seascapes-mountains-aqua-waters-tropical-exotic-travel-places4.jpg

And my 10 minute sketches.
20120926_184218.jpg

This would allow for evaporation, keep the sump area cooler, and between the supports id run a flat black pannel hung so that it comes off in one piece. I want the stand accessible from 3 sides. also will have a dry side for all the electrical and battery backup. Oh now the gears are turning and im getting excited. My entire room is going to have to be moved but hey, im cool with that!

The bottom of the stand will be water sealed with a 3-4" lip, similar to a outdoor pond. This will allow for about 13 gallons of water if have a leak and am not home, hopefully lowering the chance of ruing the house! I don't think it will need any cooling fans though. Gonna see how this will fit in my room before i say its a solid idea, but i REALLY want to have room.

Last edited:
Yesterday I stopped in at the local fish store to grab a few things. I bought a maxi-jet 900, a phosban 150, some 1/2" hose, biopellets, 2 hanna checkers, cheato and pods. I got the reactor running last night but i want to fine tune it as im not getting enough flow out of a 180GPH pump and the maxi900 is overpowering my return... LOL

Ill get pictures shortly. Need to get the 30 setup asap.

Stand plans have been revised to a more modern black look to match my bedroom. Size will be 38 long, 23 wide, 36 tall. Will be made from pine or poplar, and be a seemless type of box finish. Should look good.

Still need:

tunze 020
sump
plumbing order from Dr. F&S
reef octopus skimmer
rear glass
auto-top off system

Wood for stand:
12 2x4x8'
1 sheet 3/4' plywood
3" outdoor screws
rubber pond liner

Right now im pricing out the rear glass and the wood for the stand, also waiting for Paypal to transfer the money for the f&s order to plumb everything.

Here's the most recent pictures. I can wait to get the Phosban in the stand and out of view.

20120929_190514.jpg

20120929_181328.jpg

20120929_190504.jpg

Test:
Ammonia Undetectable
nitrite Undetectable
nitrate 90ppm (being addressed)
Calcium 460
phosphate .93ppm (being addressed)
Salinity 1.023

now dosing trace elements, calc, iodine, magnesium. Tests done by API master kit and hanna checkers.

Last edited:
Headed Friday to the manufacture to work over the details. I would like it switched over by latest Christmas, though I know it will be sooner. sticking with one Radion, and my MP10. Going with 10mm glass, C2C and Starphire.

Tankdesign.jpg

Currently the biocube is in a state of suspense. Not doing any work to it, most coral is on the sand. Just keeping it stable. As of today i removed the reactor, it is causing the tank to cloud and until i have room for a larger pump i cant run it.
20120929_181328.jpg

Thanks. its a great light, im very happy with it.

I have been putting off the tank for the past couple weeks and wont get started on it till atleast the end of the month. No plans have changed, im currently trying to get water parameters in check so when i make the switch im not battling algae or nitrates which ive been having such a problem with.

Thanks. its a great light, im very happy with it.

I have been putting off the tank for the past couple weeks and wont get started on it till atleast the end of the month. No plans have changed, im currently trying to get water parameters in check so when i make the switch im not battling algae or nitrates which ive been having such a problem with.

Hey interesting build, you definitely are brave for tearing apart that 30G tank. I like the lights, this may be a stupid question but they are LED's right? I didn't specifically see that in your post but the fact that you say they are at 50% i'm guessing means they are. Very nice, i'll be interested to see how the rear of the tank comes together.

Hey interesting build, you definitely are brave for tearing apart that 30G tank. I like the lights, this may be a stupid question but they are LED's right? I didn't specifically see that in your post but the fact that you say they are at 50% i'm guessing means they are. Very nice, i'll be interested to see how the rear of the tank comes together.

The light is in fact a full LED system.

I have a change of plans. I bought this entire running setup with reactor, skimmer, sump, stand. ATO, heaters, pumps... all of it, for $200.

Have a Naso Tang, Angel, Clown, Trigger, Damsel and one unknown.

20121104_093542.jpg

20121104_090813.jpg

20121104_121701.jpg

20121104_121646.jpg

20121104_124406.jpg

I'll update next week when i move everything into this tank and take down my 14Gal biocube.

Today was sucessful!

Around 11 I made a trip to the LFS to drop off 6 fish. I picked up a few things and some sand, and headed back home with 25 snails, and a new coral. The 34G rimless has been taken down and emptied, and the angel has been switched to my biocube for the next week. All rock and 80% of the water is alive and doing good in holding tanks right now. I dont know what i'll use yet, but id like to have as much available to me as i can, since its free! I have picked up the wood for my stand, and am ready to get started on it, I did make one mistake on the measurements so i MAY need a new top sheet, but we'll see!

Since i try to put pictures up in each post, heres the wood waiting in my garage, and the rocks in the holding tanks of my basement. You will have to excuse the atv on the wood, im tight for space in the garage now that its the winter season and all the toys are away.

20121109_232632.jpg

20121109_232950.jpg

I bundled the wood in hope to avid it warping while it drys.

Alright now that the stand is built, ill bring my action back to here. Let me catch you up.

My stand took about 2 weeks of time to build, consists of 8 2x4's, 2 2x6's and 2 sheets of plywood. for paint i used a ebony stain and clean, and a white bathroom sealing paint. (2 coats of everything)

Framing and skinning
20121111_190452.jpg

20121111_202242.jpg

Stain and paint:
20121119_223634.jpg

20121119_223644.jpg

20121122_175207.jpg

I bought a used sump, a light and a few other things

20121122_175151.jpg

i began wiring my stand, and getting it in place. my new tank will go where the stand is, so i placed my old tank on top for the time being.

20121123_135452.jpg

20121123_144905.jpg

20121123_135457.jpg

This is where i am right now, And im in the process of ordering a new display as the Neo Nano is too scratched for my tastes. Looking into a 24x24x18 rimless cube!

Also, ordered a Reef Octopus skimmer for this sump, and more glass for baffles. I'll update later this week!

Seems like everytime i chat with the guys at miracles, i go bigger. I was quoted for a tank, upped the size and am now sitting at 36x24x16 tall. (should look F-ing sweet)

Trying to track down a second used radion, picking up my skimmer tonight, and the idea of moving my tank to the basement along with my bedroom is now into play. This thing is going to be amazing when its running, just a TON to do.

I guess going to a 30 gallon till im moved out idea is gone, and im just going to jump into a 60 gallon system.

How I love updates! I went and picked up my new skimmer tonight, got it together and in the tank. Now i can setup my baffles and check one more thing off my list to do!

20121204_235505.jpg

20121204_235512.jpg

20121205_000029.jpg

Miracles Production approval PDF.

Attachments

• 36X24X16 W INTERNAL.pdf
    8.3 KB · Views: 1
haha thanks! It was pretty green, cleared now though. I did all that knowing id upgrade so my high end stuff is just moving to my new tank. Cant wait to have 60 gallons, i know its not big in comparison to some, but for me its the ultimate reef tank!

Back